Time for your face to adjust

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Geo, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Geo

Geo Active Member

Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the correct place to put this post if not, feel free to move it to where it is supposed to go.

I think this will help the new new guys out and perhaps the ones that maybe a bit discouraged from the first couple lackluster shaves while starting out.

I haven't heard or read much about the topic of letting your face adjust to the new shaving techniques or razor so I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

For me, it took just about a complete month of consistent shaving for my face to get acclimated to the much closer shave and shaving technique of using a "real" razor.

I believe that once you find your "groove" with shaving and shave that way on a consistent basis your face does adapt and shaving becomes more and more enjoyable.

The weepers and irritation become less and less as you become proficent with the razor and your face gets used to this way of shaving. Along with finding the right combination of shave cremes, soaps, and other assorted skin care products. When it all comes together its an amazing experience!

After my first month, I hardly nick myself anymore and I go can pretty fast if I have to. I also get pretty consistent BBS shaves. I can go fully ATG now. when I first started the first few weeks ATG were for lack of a better word brutal. but again, my face got used to it, my technique improved and I found a good combonation of products.

I know that for some it may not be so easy as their skin maybe much more sensative and in those cases only you will know how far you can go.

But for those that are fresh starting out give it some time, try different things to get a smooth flow going and GO SLOW! and enjoy because when all those things cometogether and you get that killer awesome shave OMG it is soo worth it :)

old okie, JRod22, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yep. definitely worth saying.

the adjustment time will vary according to your setup (razor, blade, brush, etc...) and whatever habits you've learned, both good and bad.

My adjustment went pretty quick. I was using a Feather Popular which is very mild, even when used with a Feather blade. For comparison, I had a much harder time adjusting to the Norelco electric razor that I used when I first started shaving. That thing made my face ache.

3. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will second that post. I shave daily for work and my face definitely had an adjustment time.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I shaved with carts for close to 30 years and used a Fusion since they came out. It was the best I cart I ever used but I still had perpetual razor burn, or maybe it was just pain from all the tugging. I'd say my face was immediately relieved when I switched to a DE. The only big difference was I'd cut myself more often and the razor burn from bad DE technique can be even worse than the burn I always got from a Fusion. I'm not sure my face could ever get used to those things but even with rookie technique, my face was happier after my first DE shave.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  5. B-3

B-3 Active Member

I started out with a Edwin Jagger DE86, it was a steep learning curve. I just sold it in favor of Gillette Techs.
    A lot more forgiving, for those of us remembering what we forgot about wet shaving

6. FacialCarnage

Well said Sir, well said.

Same as me, I started with a Lord L6 and some Parker razor and quickly switched to a Gillette and then ended up getting an Ej89L. I have been restoring razors for quite a while now(before I even started using them) and decided to try a Gillette Tech I had just finished. Of all 8 razors I have in my rotation, the Tech is my goto. I honestly don't even like my EJ.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I think that post is definitely worth putting in the Newbies section. Well done!

My experience was similar, although it took me about three months to become proficient. Although it seems like one's face is adjusting to a new shaving style, that is likely just the technique that is improving with good results. Some guys have sensitive skin, and some less so. For each of us, though, it is a matter of finding the right razor-blade combinations and soap/cream to go with the improved wetshaving skills. Once you find your groove, then everything is groovy and you have a lifetime of great shaves.

8. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Great post. I think it took me about two months to get my technique, product experimentation, and face adjustments to all come together. Been getting nothing but DFS's lately. Still get an occasional ingrown hair but that just my skin/facial hair combo and I don't think that will ever go away. But now that everything is figured out, my ingrown hairs are less often, not as deep below the skin, and heal within a day or two rather than 2-3 weeks.

9. FacialCarnage

I saw this on B&B where a guy was asking what the abbreviations for shave types meant. I LoL'ed at work!

_JP_
    10-04-2010, 07:50 PM
    BBS: Baby's butt smooth
    DFS: Darn fine Shave
    CCS: Close, comfortable shave
    SAS: Socially acceptable shave

Oh. :blink:

And here it was I thought they meant:

BBS: Baby butt smooth
    CCS: Cruddy Crappy Shave
    SAS: Sliced All Skin
    DFS: Didn't Finish Shaving

10. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I've wondered from time to time if this is true when shifting to a new soap or cream? Has anyone found that it takes time to adjust to a new product or has anyone found that different soaps require a shift in technique or even different blades with different soaps? I would be interested to hear perspectives.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Other than having to find the best water/soap ratio for a particular soap or cream, nope.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Good to know. I was wondering the same thing. Thanks.

13. onecoolpilot

onecoolpilot Member

Good info in this thread. Just finished the Safety Razor section so I have not made it to this section yet. I have known for a bit about needing adjustment time when switching from electric to blade, or the other way, but I would not have thought about adjusting when switching blade types.

14. LGBLST2013

LGBLST2013 New Member

Just finished LMAO...I almost had a DFS (didn't finish shaving) when in my first week of DE, I tried ATG after my WTG and I thought they were gonna call a medic for me. I told the guys in the tent that there was a little blood on the shaving field...didn't make any DE converts in the tent. Anyway still learning and won't be going ATG anytime soon until I can learn good technique (bad habits from electrics and cartridges). Seriously I was crying from laughing at your post. So to recap, in week one I had a BBS, a DFS, and CCS (the other one) and a DFS (the bloody one). Thinking I might change the blade or something. Keep up the great posts.
    Jeff

FacialCarnage likes this.