Time Shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by chromedometone, Mar 9, 2015.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Here's my take. It's takes me about an hour to shower and shave, sometimes even longer. Life is about managing your time. If you want a great shave, take your time, if you want a socially acceptable shave, rush. As Gary wrote once you get your technique down everything changes.

Omelmad likes this.
  2. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

I'm still working on my technique, hoping to be able to speed up a little. For me from pre-shower brush prep to finishing my cleanup takes about 45 minutes. However, I've always taken quick showers. Typically under 5 minutes in the shower.

Omelmad likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Since I very rarely just shave, it's hard for me to know how long it takes for just that evolution. I'm guessing around 25-35 minutes for just a shave. My usual morning routine is to shower, shave, then brush my teeth, that complete evolution usually takes about 50-65 minutes total. :happy088:

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is about 10 minutes for my two pass shave. Included is prep time and brushing my teeth.

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My time varies between 15-40 minutes. I'd say average time for me is a half hour. Since I've started using pomades, add five minutes give or take. Since I have the part razored in, it takes a lot less time to get it right.

6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

What? Haha you're a PRO!

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am a PRO! Face lathering and doing just two passes makes for an efficient shave. I think I may have taken a bit longer last week when I was using my ER 1924. It's a bit tricky.

Mustache likes this.
  8. Pete E

Pete E Member

For years, I used to wet shave in the shower with a Mach3, and my whole morning routine took about 20 minutes. I started using a DE about a month ago, and my times went out to about 50 minutes so I switched to shaving in the evening before bed instead.

Since then my technique has improved, and I am down to an average of about 35 minutes, including a 4 pass and touch up shave..I am hoping that as my technique improves and perhaps with different blades, I will reduce that to a 3 pass shave and the whole routine will be in under 25 minutes..Once I achieve that, I will resume shaving in the mornings again..

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just curious - why does one want a faster shave? The last thing I want to do is rush my ME time.

Those who do want to get faster, do you not enjoy tbe shave and are you just trying to get it over with?
    If you do enjoy the shave, why are you wanting to rush it?

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I do not want to rush me shave, but I want to be able to shave quickly IF I ever need to =P

It is me time too, I don't mind it taking some time

11. Pete E

Pete E Member

I can understand your point of view, but for me, especially on a work day, time is a luxury..Its not that I hate wet shaving, I just want to be efficient...

With any task needing similar skills/co-ordination, a good consistent technique leads to better efficiency, which means you can achieve a high standard while at the same time not appearing to rush...

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry to hijack the thread.
    I posed the question over in th e General forum, Why the rush?

Omelmad likes this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Half hour for a shower and shave every morning is ME time,. Being retired I can now take my time. I can even take a hot soak in the tub with the hot wet towel face soak and it's nice when the wife gives a back scrub, then shower and shave, that takes about an hour. Retirement is something for you guys to look forward too. Kids will be grown and gone and no one banging on the bathroom door.

Micah Jenkins and Bristle Me like this.
  14. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

For some of us it's only shaving, the removal of beard stubble.

15. Phaedris

Phaedris Member

I was curious and timed my shave recently. I was right about 10 minutes, just for the shave. I'm not sure about the time to brush teeth and shower before the shave, maybe another 10 minutes or so? No rush, but no lingering either.

16. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

What's your hurry? With showering, the wet sauna, hot towels, soaking and such, I spend an hour or longer prepping for the day. It's my 'Me' time, and I am very possessive of it. Sometimes I even meditate during the process.

Just allow whatever time you need and don't worry about it. The world will still be there when you are finished. It got along for quite some time before you arrived on the scene. Enjoy the experience. You deserve it.

If you are just wanting to "get it over with", my suggestion is to spend your hard-earned money on a Fusion, or a Mach 3 and just zip through it. Or, maybe even one of those noisy electric razors. And if you put your DE razor up for sale, be sure to let us all have a crack at it......

Real shaving is not for those who are in a hurry. It is an art form to be cherished and enjoyed for it's own sake.

Just my opinion....

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015