Time to Toss

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Dec 1, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

How many shaves, do you perform until you toss your double edge blade??

Currently - I perfrom 2 .....3 pass shaves.

Thanks,
    SB

Troy M likes this.
  2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

It depends on the blade and the razor I guess. I've had Supermax and Voskhods go for 10--3 pass shaves in a Weber, Feathers for 8 or more in a Tech, Derby for more than 7 in a New SC, Dorcos for 2 or 3 in anything. Any blade I use for my head shaves is good for about 4 -- 2 pass head shaves and that is it at at the most.

3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I do 3 passes and toss. I've been experimenting though and can get a Shark to do 7 3 pass shaves.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Every shave is 2 passes. Discard the blade after 3-4 shaves.

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I go 2 shaves of 3 passes, but I use a very light touch and require a very sharp blade. In my case I only use Feather blades.

6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

3.......3 pass shaves.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

2 shaves.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

my predominate blade is persona labs. I decide on the third 3 pass shave, sometimes it get to four, sometimes scrapped at three.
    other brands, I decide at two.
    se blades I have been using once, then out. I'll reexamine this when I get better se blades.
    I haven't noticed any different wear on the same blade from different razors. not to say it's not there.

9. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

For me it was never a matter of numbered counting. I simply used a blade until it no longer felt sharp, and the sharpness was perceived in both the ease with which it cut and the comfort that was the result.
    After joining the forums and seeing all the fuss around 'how many do you get' and whatnot, and before starting with the straights, I think the typical numbers were something like 15 with a Feather and 5 or 6 with an Astra SP.
    2 pass shaves are my norm and usually it was a Gillette Old Type, most often a 1908 Single Ring. Also sometimes I used a New Improved, a NEW Deluxe and a HD500/59. There were a few others on occasion too, of course, but those were the main safety razors I preferred.

10. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

3 shaves. I can go 7 but there is the degrading shave after 3. I tend to pitch them because they are $0.08 a piece and that's crazy cheap for 100%

11. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

+1

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

For me, I don't use any blades I can't get at least 4 good shaves from. I keep blades in action from 4-7 shaves. Some of mine will easily go more if I choose.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  13. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I used to wait until the blade felt like t was dropping off in performance. But experience has taught me that most times that's on the fourth shave, so I toss them after 3, depending. There are a couple of brands I own that are only good for one, and the Crystals will give me a solid 6 (3 pass).

14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

When I shave everyday, I usually use my DE Weber. Here lately I have been using my ATT M-1 Razor. I always use Wilkinson Sword DE Blades. I also most of the time I use a Schick Xtreme 3 Disposable or a Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 disposable, for a third pass. Most of the time I can get 3 or 4 Shaves out of a blade. There are some blades that I have not even been able to get even 1 shave out of it.

I have used Wilkinson Sword Blades most of my Shaving Life.

Troy M likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My record is 19 with a Shark Super Chrome, two passes. However, my change out point now is 7 unless I encounter problems, then out it goes. I tossed a Voskhod after two shaves. I think It may have been the razor's fault. I was surprised.
    blade safe3s.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Troy M likes this.
  16. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Typically three or four uses with a two or three pass shave. Unless it's a Super Max blade, in that case the whole ten pack gets tossed after 1 shave ;)

Jayaruh likes this.
  17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I typically use Astra SP and I get 3 uses, each use consisting of 3 passes on head, 1 pass on face. I really wish I could get the same one pass result on my head that I get on my face. Haven't figured it out yet...

18. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I keep so many razors with blades in them, that I would need some kind of accounting system to keep track. So when a blade feels the least bit tuggy or dull, it is time to swap it out.

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This die tells me that this blade has been used two times.
    die_counter.jpg

20. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Great and elegant solution. I should adopt that. As a die hard tabletop wargamer, I have plenty of dice hanging around. I am actually a little ashamed that this concept never even occurred to me, as I use it to track information in games all the time.

Jayaruh likes this.