Tiny nicks and cuts

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by white_feather, Jun 2, 2009.

1. white_feather

white_feather Active Member

When I am shaving I apply very little pressure to the razor. After my first pass I relather with my brush and notice about eight to ten little red dots of blood on each side of my cheek near my mouth. I am trying to figure out how this happens and what I can do to prevent it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Moe

Moe Active Member

What razor and blade combination are you using? Do you get same result with all blades? Try less/no pressure to see what happens. Try different angles, maybe your angle is too steep or flat.

3. white_feather

I am using a Merkur Classic 1904 and a Feather blade. I think I am going to try a Merkur blade next time.

4. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Yes,it could be the angle,using a really sharp blade and apply much pressure than its need it,not making a really good, protective,thick lather...
    If you are new into DE shaving using feather could be risky.Merkur blades arent good.I would recommend you to get some Astras,IPs,Red Pack IP or just a sample pack and try all,and when you get more experience go for the freathers.

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Could be that in those spots your hair actually grows opposite of the surrounding area. So when you are doing a WTG pass every where else, you are actually going against the grain there on either side of your mouth. You see what I am saying, does that make sense?

I have this issue but mine in my mustache area.

6. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Feathers can do that to you...it's an unforgiving blade.

7. Moe

Moe Active Member

I wouldn't go buy any Merkur blades, but if you have one or more that came with the razor, you should try it. I don't care for them, and don't think many do, but you will at least have another blade to compare. I've been DE shaving with a Merkur HD for two months, and have not tried a feather yet, it is next for me to try. I've tried blades: Mekur, Persona Red Pack, Astra Sup., Derby, 7 O'Clock Yellow, 7 O 'Clock Black, KAI, and Feather will be next. FOr me, every blade I try seems sharper than the last, that may be partially true, but expect my technique is slowly improving. Alot of my technique is learning diferent angles and pressures for different blades/parts of my face.

8. white_feather

I made a rookie mistake and bought a 100 pack of Merkur blades because I thought they would be as good as my Merkur razor, but now I know better.

9. Moe

Moe Active Member

Well, if the price of steel goes back up, you can make a trip to the recycler :D

10. rainman

rainman New Member

OMG! What did that cost you? $50? Stand back..................

:angry021

11. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Ditto that on growth direction. Mine is on the chin below each corner of my mouth - must slow down here, keep lubricated and apply little pressure! And the comments on blades are true for many. Merkurs are so so for me. Derbys are best all around for my beard, with Gillette 7 O'Clocks yellow (so far) a close second. Try and document your combinations and setups - I've found that the little things do matter. Oh yes, and have fun!

12. saltypete

saltypete New Member

I had the exact same problem with 10-12 little nicks/blood spots along my jaw line (a problem area for me). In my case it was because I was using too much pressure, and multiple passes over the area (in an attempt to get a BBS result) made it worse. Now I simply let the weight of the head apply the pressure, while my fingers merely support and guide the razor over my face. It took a lot of practice and many nicks to learn.

Pete

13. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am not to crazy about Merkur blades, I find that they tend to wear out faster than most blades do. I have had some Wilkinson Sword razors in my razors for months while the Merkurs can only last weeks.

14. Tommy C

Tommy C New Member

You may wanna go slowly and carefully and make sure your skin is wet enough before applying the lather.

15. planf

planf New Member

Sometimes that happens to me (under the chin but neck area), when I go ATG.

I shouldn't be giving advise since I'm still inexperienced at this, but I suspect thin happens only because it's ATG. Try doing a good job WTG before going for one last pass ATG.