Tips for female DE

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by ella, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ella

ella Member

I'm back! I joined up here, learned enough to buy an injection razor which is great :) before life got busy. I'm interested in DE razors now...

Anyone have a favorite razor for women? I've looked at ebay and it's overwhelming. My Injector has a short handle and it's ok, but I wouldn't mind a longer handle. I'm curious about adjustable razors, too, am fine with used/vintage and on a tight budget.

Thanks very much!

2. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

Gillette has the ladies versions, sorry don't know much about em. Slims adjustable
    Can be had for 15-20.00 on shaving forums
    BST's, I gave up in eBay when prices were getting outrageous. All depends on market when your looking at eBay. Antique shops can be big pay days for gilettes. I have paid between $1-5.00 for slims and fanboys at antique stores.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

My wife is fond of any longer handled razor, and has used my Merkur 38C far more than I ever have. There's also the Vintage Lady Gillettes but they get ridiculously pricey for anything half decent condition and above. The Lord L6 is apparently a very popular ladies razor as well, from what I've read, but the wife hasn't asked me for one of those yet ;)

4. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

It really just depends on what you are looking for. I have shaved with short handles, long handles, and in-betweens. I prefer a long handle. My razor of choice (after much experimentation) is the Lord L6. However, I will note, I have all of the Lady Gillettes (DE razors) and all of the Lady EverSharps (SE razors). I shave with all of my razors.

Through my experimentation, I have found that I prefer a long handle. With that said, I started DE shaving with a short handle. So, either size will work, it just depends on what you like.

Experiment as much as you can and find out what is comfortable for you. I was lucky, my husband Jeff (stingraysrock) bought a ton of shave stuff and I was able to try it all so I have a very clear picture of what I like. I wish you the same luck.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, we are all eager to help!

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    From what I've read, the ladies really like one of two vintage razors for shaving.

The Lady Gillette razor (long handle, has stars on it and comes in three different colors, pink, blue and champagne). $25 and up.
    The long handled Gillette Super Adjustable (nicknamed "Black Beauty") $15 and up. Sara is really enjoying hers.

Both have really long handles and can be very mild shavers.

Of course there are the rare few ladies who use straight razors, but you weren't asking about those.:)

Barber Eile and Sara-s like this.
  6. ella

ella Member

Maybe I'll go antiquing, there are some good shops not too far away. I'm mostly homebound lately due to chronic pain, but a good excuse for an enjoyable field trip is always welcome :)

Luteplayers likes this.
  7. ella

ella Member

They scare me! Especially in my tiny shower stall, balancing on one leg, it wouldn't be a pretty sight. I enjoy shaving in the tub, but don't have one anymore :/

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    asleep2shave and Sara-s like this.
  9. ella

ella Member

Sara-s and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

Good luck antiquing for your next De. Sometimes it pays to ask as they can have the shaving gear tucked away in a corner out of sight. sorry to hear that you have Chronic pain. Know that issue all to well been learning to deal with it for last few years and it's a life changer.

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Don't forget the 'Lady Eversharp' injector has a long handle aswell as the Schick 'J' types like the 'Golden 500'....They are both pretty mild and have long slim handles....

Attached Files:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good answers all around. Any razor I have liked has a long handle. After some experimenting, I am sticking with the Gillette Super Adjustable (has a long, black handle). Since you mention chronic back pain- a problem we unfortunately share-I will add another suggestion. Get a shower bench, so you can sit down & shave. I find it more comfortable.

PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  13. ella

ella Member

Thanks for the heads up. My back is actually ok, it's my neck that's a mess. If I can find a small enough shower bench/stool I may get one.

14. Barber Eile

Barber Eile Member

I love my super adjustable but if you want another option then the Gillette Single Edged Gem GBar is awesome too.
    Shorter handle and only a SE but I LOVE mine.

My champagne Lady Gillette comes out for special occasions though as it's so pretty!

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ella, can you tell us what razor you ended up getting?

16. ella

ella Member

Sure, I found a great deal on a Gillette Blue Star. I have a couple packs of blades to try out. The adjustment to injector was difficult, but it sounds like a lot of the techniques transfer to DE shaving. Here's hoping! One thing I love about the vintage razors is how nice they look.

The friendly and helpful attitude of this group is wonderful :)

Barber Eile and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Lady Gillettes are very elegant looking razors. Aye, the techniques transfer. Once you get the angle down, you'll do fine. It might even be easier because the Lady's are mild shavers that were made specifically for women and the Twist-to-Open mechanism is a joy to use (and a vast improvement over modern DE razor designs).

18. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

I love my blue Lady Gillette. It's fairly non aggressive and fits so nicely in my hand. I tried using a few smaller handle DEs in the past but I find that I don't have as much control as I do with a long handle.

jill8 likes this.
  19. ella

ella Member

My Blue Star came in yesterday's mail and is gorgeous! Barely used, just needed a cleaning. I'm about to do a vinegar rinse, finish with alcohol, and try her out :) I'll get some pics too.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good luck! That is a nice razor.