Titanic and 3017...?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Primotenore, Apr 27, 2018.

?

Why do you "3017" a product?

1. For the Challenge

24.0%
  2. Because I was Challenged

16.0%
  3. Because I am Challenged

16.0%
  4. None of the above

24.0%
  5. All of the above

48.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    So, I am going to work my way through the remaining 53g of my Mike's Peppermint & Rosemary soap (sorry @celestino ;), I know I said I was going to use up MW Sandalwood Rose) and I am confused. (No snarky comments, please :)). I have seen 3017 in reference to "Titanic", or using up a product. Could someone please explain that to me?
    Thanks, and have a great shave!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

3017 might refer to the amount of soap someone had gathered. As in," I have enough soap to last until..." The unsinkable qualities of some soaps is an easy one. When you get to that place where there's just a ring of soap and you can see the bottom of the tub - the soap seems to regenerate. It's going down like the famous ship. Just needs a bit of sousing - bloom it to soften and hasten loading.

3. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011::happy088::happy096::eatdrink047::bounce017::bounce015::happy036:

brit and RyX like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Urban Dictionary says this:

3017 Treatment
    To finish something to completion without straying. To turn away other options in order to fully enjoy one item and gain the most out of it until there is nothing left.

This can refer to anything from electing to use one salad dressing until it is used up in lieu of opening up the other bottles in the fridge to referencing the idea of not starting any other books until you have finished the one you are busy with.

This term is used most often in traditional wet shaving forums where it references the use of one single shaving puck to completion before starting the next. This is a strategy most often employed by users who have accumulated so much stock of varying products that the daily choice of which item to use can become a burden and could detract from their ability to truly appreciate any single item.
    Dr. Gold realized that he had accumulated too many soaps, so he decided to give his stock the 3017 Treatment by finishing one soap at a time before moving on to the next.

But doesn't:think002: mention the origin of the term.

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Here is the supposed origin(Warning links to B&B):
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-does-3017-mean.522501/#post-9100363

elektrotasil, ischiapp, gzp and 4 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Article Team
    :scared003:

7. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

Would like to see a picture of how much is left in the puck you are going to 3017 :poze:

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Here is the remaining puck with now 49g. (Before today's shave)
    I seem to average 4g of soap/shave. Yes, that may seem like a lot to those who pride themselves on 10 swirls for a load, but I have never been shy about loading my soaps. I load it like there's no tomorrow. :)

IMG_5146.jpg

9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

So you'll only have a 10 year supply when you die, not 20. Oh well...

brit and Primotenore like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I must admit, I'm up to 25 seconds of load time now(20 appears to be the "norm").

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm going to Titanic or 3017 my way through what's remaining of my Jeeves Bay Rum. It's 60 grams worth, so it may take a while. I'll be posting in the various threads of course.

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've never timed myself while loading soap, but I guarantee it's much, much longer than 20 or 25 seconds. Super goop can't be rushed!

brit, RyX, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  13. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

Its rare for me to find a soap that needs more than 20 total swirls on the puck. 20 is what I have been using this week 10 swirls clockwise and then 10 swirls counterclockwise. I had enough this morning for a 3 pass shave + touchups and in the end I squeezed out a golfball sized amount of lather that was left over (wasted). I can get by with 16 swirls on the puck but the drawback is that it will take more time to build the lather on the face (about 30 seconds longer) so I would rather waste the 4 extra swirls for the time savings.

I will always trade time for money. Time is the most valuable commodity any of us possess.

But I can understand that if someone dislikes a soap and wants to "use it up" that they would overload it so that it dies faster

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I read somewhere that 3017 came from someone saying they had 3017 worth of shaves of a soap, and then they were going to use it up just as you said. Not sure if it is true or not.

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have so many soaps at this point, I load 'em like I owe the mob money, and the soaps are two months behind on rent to me. ;)

I definitely never lack for an abundance of lather.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is done when it’s done. Until then, it’s just lather.

17. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011:

brit and PLAla like this.
  18. Primotenore

Article Team
    You can't overload soap. :rolleyes005: You can only under-load it. :)

19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Sounds normal to me.

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Let's put it this way, I hope to live long enough to run out of my soaps.:happy088: