To atra or not to atra?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Lutebro, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Was curious what people here thought of the Atra? I was looking around to find out what people thought and there wasn't really a general consensus. I know it's not completely traditional or "old school" but do they still have their place for anything other than travel?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I use an atra cart system on my head occasionally, but I prefer the trac II when face shaving when not using my straights.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never lookin' back.

HolyRollah and John Beeman like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I do use a Trac II for travel when I can only take a carry-on. I think the pivoting head of the Atra encourages pressure so I like the fixed head of the Trac II better. I think they use almost the same cart though. You can find Personna carts that fit both.

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I wouldn't use a cart unless I was flying somewhere. And if I had to, I'd use a Trac II.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'll grow a beard

dscaver likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I use Trac IIs and Atra's but nothing above those blade wise. The Trac II and Atra variants (such as Ultrex and Slim Twins) are also used.

What amazes me is the prices are fetched on the original Atra handles now a days.

Here is a picture with a more "jazzed" version of the ATRA.

[​IMG]

fram773 likes this.
  8. Lutebro

That's good to know coming from you. What blades do you use and which handle do you prefer. You don't feel like you're cheating on your "older" razors?

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I probably shave with Trac II and / Atras about 10-15% of the time. Mostly when I am shaving with a very aggressive DE / SE and will switch over to head shave with the cartridge to save time. Sometimes when I am really pressed for time in the morning (4:30 AM riser so there is no extra early time) I will switch and do the entire shave. I prefer the Trac II over the Atra, but not by much.

My blades of preference are stocked up Gillette and Schicks without lubricating strips if possible.

As to cheating and my razors complaining ...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/two-brothers-series-brought-back-for-a-holiday-visit.35455/

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. Williams Warrior

Parker makes an outstanding trac II handle that is made out of chromed brass, so it's nice and weighty. They also make an Atra version that I want to get. I have the trac II version.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I'm a big fan of all of the two blade Gillette cartridge systems, with the Trac II being my favorite followed by the Atra, then the Sensor. I like the carts from CVS, very affordable and they work well, at least for me.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Gillette gave out free Atra handles and a couple of cartridges when I was in college. While the Trac II I was using at the time gave reasonably good shaves, the Atra gave lousy shaves. The pivoting head thing just did not work for me. For that reason, I stuck with either a Remington electric or a Trac II until I started using a safety razor. I still have both the Trac II and electric, and use one of those when travelling.

I don't get the "cheating" thing about using certain razors, and so do not hesitate to use what best fits the circumstance. A razor is a tool for shaving, not a girlfriend. One cannot cheat on a razor.

HoosierTrooper and GDCarrington like this.
  13. Lutebro

Well said!

14. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Agreed.

15. Williams Warrior

:signs011:

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Occasionally I will use an Atra. I have several versions - Metal Atra/Original Contour/Vector/Slalom. I also use the Schick Equivalent. The Schick carts are compatible so any Super II Ultrex/Ultrex Plus/Ultra Plus/Contact Plus/Pivot Plus/Profile Plus/Wilkinson Sword Twin II Plus/Extra2 or Exacta2 cart can be used....

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    I have no problems with others using whatever tool that gets them where they want to go (a great shave)—well, except maybe this: Goatee Saver
    but after years of cartridge shaving, I am content to go the DE or straight razor route.

18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So long as you don't exceed 2 blades for your normal shave, you're safe around. :D

fram773 likes this.
  19. Lutebro

That thing is totally ridiculous. Saw it the other day and couldn't believe someone came up with such a thing!

20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

But, if we were in the midst of the mid-90s goatee craze, and not the Hipster lumberjack look, I bet he'd be rollin' in the dough. I mean, how much could one of those cost to manufacture?