To buy or not to buy ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Sep 16, 2014.

?

Online or in person

1. Online

45.0%
  2. In Person

55.0%
  1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

The question I pose is do you prefer to buy online or in person? This of course relates to Vintage razors. For me I'd rather see it in person, maybe that is the German in me as I can be very picky as to the condition of an item and whether I deem it is worth the investment or not. What say ye?

2. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I personally enjoy the "hunt" of finding razors in the wild, although I am not adverse to online buying. I like digging through old dusty antique stores and such looking for treasure lol

178-bplatoon and Boojum1 like this.
  3. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

You find great deals online in general. Now for vintage, I honestly have little experience.

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I am an eBay man. eBay first, Amazon next. I take pleasure in having a package waiting at the door for me...it's like a little bit of Christmas. Besides there is a dearth of real antique stores in my vicinity.

Chuck F, 178-bplatoon and Boojum1 like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Given a choice, I'd rather buy in person. Ideally, I want to hold the razor, inspect it and face-to-face interaction also allows room for negotiation.
    The downside to person-to-person is not being exposed to the wider variety one can find online.

Boojum1 and BigMark like this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Online. Searching out many antique stores and driving there only to find they don't have what I want or want to seriously overcharge for something is not something I enjoy.

Chuck F and Boojum1 like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Since I can't find very much over here in person. So I mostly buy on-line. But I guess it depends on the proximity of vintage stores.

8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I buy my vintage stuff local and don't search often really, only if I pass an antique store/flea market and have time to kill and find a deal. I never got into ebay but I would buy from the forum BST's if I saw something I fancy.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Both. You never know what you'll find at junk store, flea market or antique shop.

Boojum1 likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Big, I've purchased several razors on eBay and each one of them, while serviceable, had issues. I've returned two. BUT the razors I've purchased at estate sales or antique stores and here and B&B have all been just fine. Although I check it regularly, eBay tends to be pricey and much of the stuff not as good as represented.

Boojum1 likes this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

all the deals I've found have been in person.
    the ones bought online were ok, but not really deals, especially after shipping

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Boojum1 likes this.
  12. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Where I come from (in rural Australia) there is little option as there are VERY few second hand/antique shops around that have anything remotely like shaving equipment. It's online for me !!

Boojum1 likes this.
  13. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I avoid buying anything from the internet as often as I can. I'd much rather spend a few extra dollars extra to get it in my hands right away. I can't stand waiting on shipping.

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I voted for in person..
    However that said, I honestly make most of my shave related purchases(both new and vintage) online. It's easier to do searches and compare products, there are usually "MANY" more choices available, it's easier to compare vendor prices and many times it's cheaper even with S&H.
    While I'm a relative newbie to buying online "the shaving hobby", 'knife collecting hobby" and "fountain pen hobby" has turned me into a frequenter of ebay, amazon, as well as the many smaller, independent shave/knife/fountain pen sites. I do have to say that so far, for the most part online buying has been a good experience.:)

15. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Online. Mainly because there is more of a selection. I have much better luck finding guns than vintage shaving gear in person.

16. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Online. I don't feel like driving all over looking for stuff. Besides, I'd rather buy from another wet shaver because the antique people are starting to catch on about how lucrative vintage razors are.

17. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

Don't have much of a choice nearly all my shaving stuff is bought online.

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

That being stated prices are getting outrageous. I just saw a Toggle on Ebay for $3,000.00, all because it is "Rare".

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I for one have no interest in owning a Toggle. I would rather buy from the BST instead of some idiot antique dealer trying to sell me a beat up straight razor for $80. And it was originally $100, but I told him I would pay a tenth of that price for it. And he wanted $25 for a puck of vintage Williams. Pffft

fram773 and BigMark like this.
  20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

For vintage, I'd prefer to see it in person before buying because it's tough to determine the condition online. For new merchandise I prefer online.

BigMark likes this.