TOBS Sandalwood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by danbuter, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I bought a few Taylor of Old Bond Street samples from Maggards. I tried out the Sandalwood today, as it seems to be the most popular. Very nice lather, with good protection and slickness. Sadly, I apparently don't like the scent of sandalwood. I'll finish off this sample, but I won't like the smell.

I do have samples of TOBS coconut and almond, and I'm pretty sure I will like the scents much better for them.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

The TOBS sandalwood is not a true sandalwood, in my opinion. I really like it, but it is different than the actual sandalwood (the actual wood) that I have. You might find you like a more natural sandalwood scent from another vendor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Sandalwood is a Heinz 57 of scents. All manufactures have their "sandalwood" scent which, most often, means no two are alike. I am not sure what true sandalwood is supposed to smell like. I like Proraso sandalwood but am not sure that this is supposed to be a true sandalwood scent. Any experts here?

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i read somewhere that proraso red is closer to true sandalwood than others.i have tobs,proraso red,b and m latha sandalwood and edwin jagger sandalwood soap .all are different but nice .i like them all..

George X likes this.
  5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Don't judge but I like the scent of AoS Sandalwood out of all I have tried. Other sandalwood I have tried smell more like cedar to me...which is also nice, but not what I imagine when I think sandalwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

As others have said sandalwood soaps all smell different. I have Captain's Choice, TOBS, Barrister&Mann, and Proraso Red. All are different. Of the four I think Barrister&Mann is the best. You may want to get small samples of each and give them a try.

7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

When i was googling the Proraso colours to see which one i would order, i 've stumbled on a post in a local italian forum where a user was praising the superiority of Proraso Red, exactly because "it has sandalwood oil, not just some perfume". Of course, if you ask me, i don't know the difference and speaking against Proraso is blasphemy here, so take that as you will.

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I like Proraso Red but think there are others, such as Barrister & Mann sandalwood, that are better. One of the things I don't like about Proraso is the tub size - too small.

Screwtape and George X like this.
  9. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Well, i think that as long as you don't step into an italian forum and repeat this, you can keep enjoying life and the company of your dog! :happy097:

Screwtape and Col C like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My face doesn't agree with sandalwood..:(

11. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

I sort of dig the scent of PR, myself; it's reminiscent of pure SW.
    However, PR's scent isn't the same, nor as good (IMO), as the real McCoy.
    For one thing, it's highly unlikely PR contains high-grade EO of Mysore-grown SW.
    For another, PR contains a high amount of parfum, versus SW (listed last in the LOI).
    (Bottom line: pure, quality sandalwood EO is rare, and very expensive.)

Screwtape likes this.
  12. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I don't know what this McCoy is, but consider that Red Proraso tub here costs 2.20 EUR at the supermarket. You can't expect it to make miracles at that price.

Screwtape likes this.
  13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

"The real McCoy" is an idiom meaning "the genuine article" - in this case a log of genuine sandalwood. I don’t know the origin of the phrase or who McCoy was but apparently there must have been one or more imposters running around pretending to be him, so the actual person was referred to as the "real" McCoy.

ask4Edge and Shave Fu like this.
  14. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Ah, i see! Thank you very much, i learnt something new. I was googling for "McCoy Sandalwood soap", but couldn't find anything. :happy097: This explains why!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    ninjack and Screwtape like this.
  15. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

TOBS was the first sandalwood shave cream I ever tried. I really liked it for a while, but it's a little too perfumy. Reminds me of Polo cologne, the original in the green bottle. I later found the Caswell Massey, which smells almost exactly like Proraso Red to me. Now they are my favorite sandalwood shave creams. Proraso costs less and lathers better IMO. Caswell Massey makes a sandalwood spray cologne to go with their shave cream and aftershave balm. Proraso Red has the aftershave splash. Both are great!

I got a small sampler of DR Harris sandalwood to smell when I bought my Fendrihan razor last week and liked the smell of it also. Reminded me of the Gonesh Sandalwood incense sticks that I like to burn in the house.

Screwtape likes this.
  16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

TOBS soaps and creams have always worked well for me. I don't care for all of their scents but do like Sandalwood, Mr. Taylors and Lavender. Salters Indian Sandalwood is another cream I like and prefer to TOBS. Just another take on sandalwood scent. Neither might not be a true sandalwood but my nose likes them and they shave well for me.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    ninjack likes this.