TOOBS Longevity

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Knox, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just was PIF’ed a full tub of Eton College by @Bama Samurai . Frankly I was amazed at not only the scent, but the performance! I’ve used it twice and the small amount of cream produced an enormous amount of lather. Slicker than a snotty doorknob to boot! I still cannot believe that I never tried this brand before.

Demidog and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

What kind of brush are you using it with?
    I have tried badger, boar and horse hair, in my experience, the boar takes longer to get the same lather as either the badger or the horse....
    But it takes a bit less with the badger than it does the horse, so its not that big of a deal to me....

I was a bit worried about the scent when I ordered it, but man o man, am I glad I did. I love all things citrus, and thats what this smells like to me.
    Glad you have found one that you like.

Spyder likes this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I’ve used the synthetic and the badger.. The boar will be next. With my limited experience; I foresee this will profusely lather with any method and/or brush.

4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

You may want to consider adding about 5-10% more than normal when using a boar hair, especially so if you are face lathering . I've found boar does take a bit more product to get the same awesome lather.
    However, as always, ymmv

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I received the sample pack in my stocking for Christmas. I am still trying them out. Jermyn Street is the real deal, maybe my favorite. I have yet to try Eton or Cedarwood...and 2 or 3 others. I used the Lemon-Lime to defunkify a Boar brush. Gave my son the Grapefruit and he picked one other. There are 14 samples in that pack. It is definitely not the most economic route, but you don't buy a $16-$20 tub that you or your significant other does not like.

Spyder likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I was in on the cream blind sample crew. Everyone really loved the Jermyn street. Of course we didn’t know the cream prior to passing judgment. So the Jermyn street was on my next to buy list until I scored the Eton College in the PIF. Their lather is the same but I personally like the scent of the Eton better. But I still will probably score a tub of the JS fairly soon.

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

If you like TOBS Sandalwood and Eton College you might consider the matching bath bars. Hard to find at a sale price but they last a long time.

Spyder likes this.
  9. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I'm considering Eton college. Has anyone used the matching aftershave?

John Beeman and Spyder like this.
  10. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

You're spending my money...

Knox and Spyder like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Enabler Alert! Enabler Alert!!

Rhody likes this.
  12. John Beeman

Yes. You need to buy some.

Rhody and Spyder like this.
  13. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

IMG_4120.JPG

11 days- 10 shaves.

I think I am still using too much per shave.
    Instead of loading the brush from the cream, I will just take a dab with my finger and put it on the brush.

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That’s what I do. I dip out anot the size of 1-2 peas and bowl lather.

15. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Yes, a finger load on the brush or in the bowl. I used the ToOBS sampler containers to identify a good size. Since the sample contains approximately 4 portions per container, I was able to see what 1/4 of the serving was, and have used that as my go-to amount.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You can also put the cream straight on the beard and face lather like that. It works great!

17. John Beeman

Some have suggested that using your finger can contaminate the cream. Apparently oils from your skin can lead to premature deterioration of the product.

You might consider a snurdle dipper.

IMG_7194.JPG

The small plastic curved one is available from the ShaveDen store. It's hard to see in my picture but the wide end is a shallow spoon.
    The other two are ones I've picked up in my travels.

Knox and Spyder like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I use a small plastic spoon, about the size of a baby spoon. I only use a small amount. This is tonight’s lather. A small dab yields a full scuttle of hot lather. The TOBS holds up very well in the hot scuttle. Some soaps don’t lather well under the heat.

6BEFB1AE-F406-45F7-AD2E-208F63B9642B.jpeg

Knox and John Beeman like this.
  19. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

20. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

IMG_4251.JPG

Exactly one month in. Not too bad so far.
    This was after this morning's shave.

wchnu, Jim99 and Spyder like this.