Tracing the History of a Vintage WW1 Razor - Part 6: At War's End

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rosengaard, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find this, your latest installment! Just as fascinating and well written as the others. Thanks again for a great read, and the imagination to take us on a journey that originated with items from all of our shared hobby/interest. Happy shaving to you, sir! 346x0f4.jpg

Rosengaard and FaceScraper like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Very nice work Rosengaard! I've been digging this since it started....I can appreciate your being drawn by this Robert Mercer....This is riveting.

Rosengaard and FaceScraper like this.
  3. Rosengaard

Rosengaard Well-Known Member

Hi Bookworm.

Well I found a lot, but not enough. I know it has been a long while since i promised a last chapter, and I have not forgotten about it, it just sort of "got shelved" for a while.
    I already have a lot of information on Robert Mercers post-war life, and most of the last chapter is written. What I have been having difficulties with, is his later years. I have been following a few threads that turned out to be duds (graves that belonged to other Robert Mercers etc.), and eventually i put it aside for a bit.... Now, half a year later, it is nice to be reminded that you guys haven't forgotten about Robert, and this piece of shaving history.
    I have been very busy for a while with work and other projects. Actually right now I am in Lisbon to do some work, and tomorrow I will be hunting for Semogue brushes. I can't leave Portugal without one or two Semogues I think :)
    BUT, as soon as I get some hours of peace and quit, I promise to dive into the story of Robert Mercer once again. I think I owe it to him to finish his story.

4. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

This is a truly fascinating thread. Many of us have old razors, but they are bits of metal without any context. The work you have completed to track the owner of your khaki set turns it into something for more than a hunk of metal. I am in awe of the work your have devoted to tell the story of your set and its owner.

Rosengaard likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm looking forward to the next update too!

Rosengaard likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I suspect you have more information on him than his grandchildren/great grandchildren do. Once you have it all together, you might want to try to track one down and see if they'd like the information. (or at least point them to the threads here).

One suggestion - edit each of the six parts so that all of them contain the links to the other parts.

Thanks for the effort! People like you are how we retain our sense of individualism through history.

twhite, Rosengaard and richgem like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

A great idea!
    I know next to nothing about what my grandfather did during WW II, so I'd love something like this.
    (To be fair, grandpa never liked to talk about it as was typical of his generation.)

Rosengaard likes this.
  8. Rosengaard

Thanks a lot! I am very happy that so many of you are enjoying what started as just a little digging around for the fun of it.

And I can tell you that it really has become a whole new experience to shave with the Khaki razor since learning so much of its original owner. My thoughts always seem to drift back to all he things the razor (and Robert) went through about a century ago. My luck was, that the sellers from Mercers family supplied his name and military affiliation, when they sold the Razor.

RyX, canoeroller and richgem like this.
  9. Rosengaard

Good point with the links. I will do that. I have been planning to edit all the chapters for a while, but have been waiting to do it till i am finished. I was not planning to take such a long time writing the last chapter though... :)

And it is a very good idea to send the info to the descendants of Robert Mercer. The only problem is, that I seem to have som difficulties finding them. It is odd, since they sold off the razor at one point, but it is one of the bumps, that I have to overcome before the story can be finished. I am working on it though, so I will get there eventually.

I must admit that i am looking forward to presenting the story to one of the Mercers and hearing their reaction!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    RyX and richgem like this.
  10. Rosengaard

Bookworm and RyX like this.