Tragedy befell me...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jbo667, Aug 20, 2017.

1. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

Well, as luck would have it yesterday, one of my favorite vintage brushes of all time gave up the ghost yesterday. It was a Fuller natural bristle that had the perfect handle size, shape and with great heft! I got yet another great shave out of it and as I was shaking it dry, the handle split in two! It was one of my intentions to restore but the bristles were actually great performers so I had been keeping in rotation as it was a perfect lofty, springy scritch that would still splay when wanted. All around a great head shaving shower brush. So, though I'm sure I can epoxy it, I am quite conflicted on whether to re-knot or leave it be. What are you all's takes seeing the style of handle build and glue knot inside? Anyone had a similar experience with an old Fuller? It almost looks like Bondo with a rubber skin in consistency. I wouldn't question myself on just reassembling and leaving it be except I think one day it would make a great boar re-knot as these ends seem to be clipped and don't split or bloom.[​IMG][​IMG]

jimjo1031, gorgo2 and Keithmax like this.
  2. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

Last known good photo prior to the incident...[​IMG]

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

You might be able to fix it, but it will probably never look the same. Epoxy will definitely put it back together, but it won't be pretty. An acetone-base glue will probably hide the seam better, but again you will have to take a lot of care to get it just right. But, maybe that isn't important. I really think it is a goner and based on this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuller-Shaving-brush-/112526765579?hash=item1a331e2e0b:g:CKAAAOSwZs1ZgNPm , I think it should be reasonably easy to replace.

AGHisBBS, jimjo1031, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

5. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:angry017: It looks like it bled too. :eek:

jbo667, jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It happens. My Speer is getting there as well. I tried to stabilize the cracks with Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure but the plastic has become so brittle I fear the end is near.

jbo667 and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Order the one uptop to get it in the mail and coming to you. While you wait try fixing this one since you have nothing to lose. If the repair works out then you'll have a backup brush and you will still be able to put another knot in it if you wanted.

AGHisBBS, jbo667, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Glad to see someone else uses the green rubber Marvy mug. It's the only one I own (don't trust myself not to break anything else). Well, I do have an OS mug but it holds Q-tips.

AGHisBBS, jbo667 and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

jbo667 and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I saw the Fuller on Ebay and I'm glad @Terry Williams pointed it out.

I'd purchase the one on ebay and repair the one you have. At that point I'd see if @Jayaruh could duplicate the repaired one in hard rock Maple or Sycamore (my favorite).

twhite, Jayaruh and jbo667 like this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

+1

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Interesting. I was thinking of duplicating it myself.

jimjo1031, jbo667, twhite and 2 others like this.
  14. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

That's what threw me. Between the pink and the seriousness of the glue below the knot... Makes me curious. I know Fuller was even sold door to door a good while back then.

15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

You should

jbo667 likes this.
  16. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

I load soap from my Old Spice mugs but Marvy is my go to shower Williams holder. I strictly shave in the shower so I've had a few close calls with lather bowls in ceramics... I tried to hunt a shower scuttle forever and even made a few variations with double dimpled stainless bowls. Marvy still wins for Williams and me!

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I fell in.love with the springy loft of the Omega Hi Brush barber pole... I may buy a cheaper variation and knot rob for the Fuller! That'd be a killer combo, even if ugly!