Travel Razor preferences

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by George X, Apr 16, 2016.

1. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I take along a Utopia in a leather case, the shaver works just fine and for $10 I don't have to worry about loss/theft. My Dopp bag is almost a bad as PickledNorthern ! Guess that goes back to my boy scout days Be Prepared.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use a Ikon closed bar. It is the mildest I can go and still get a BBS. If I need a super close shave I take an Ikon Tech or CJB shavette.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

i travel by plane a few times a year and take disposable razors and canned goop on those trips. I'm afraid of losing my DE gear.

If by land, then I'll take whatever DE gear is next in the rotation. I have a small case that all my shaving gear gets tossed into and off I go. I throw a couple of extra DE blades into an old prescription bottle so that nothing sharp is loose in the case.

Nothing beats a good shave when on the road, except maybe a good breakfast!

4. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

Can you explain this "canned goop" you speak of? LOL

AGHisBBS, PLANofMAN and Jim99 like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, "goop" is a very technical term and you would need a Ph.D. in chemistry to truly understand. In layman's terms, Gillette Foamy!
    :p:p:p:p:p

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    AGHisBBS, bdalemauger and George X like this.
  6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I do a lot of 2 day domestic plane trips these days and opt for carry-on which means it's the single edge Bic disposables and the travel sized Gillette Foamy.
    For longer trips I take my regular gear and check my bag. I have had airlines lose my bag on occasion, but it always finds me within 24 hours.

AGHisBBS, George X and Jim99 like this.
  7. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Have yet to wrap my head around the traveling with wet shaving supplies. Travelling there is no issue. Traveling back with everything wet, doesn't your brush rot? When traveling, I'm afraid to say, I still use this:
    IMG_0718.jpg

George X likes this.
  8. George X

George X Well-Known Member

This is my first time doing it and I have a synthetic brush.

AGHisBBS, Drawer and Robyflexx like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

A Fatboy. Not my everyday one.

AGHisBBS and George X like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I take either a synthetic, which dries in about 15 minutes or a boar, which dries in an hour or two. Badger brushes don't really travel well unless they are fairly small, the Wee Scot and the Case being the two most well known examples.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What he said. ^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been rather mum on travel options because of a few razors I was thinking about purchasing. Now that they have come and gone...

The Bigalow & Parkin Travel Razor was made for a number of years, starting in 1921.

The Travalong was another folding razor design, stamped out of stainless steel and introduced in 1944.

The foldabrush set, came with a Gillette New and featured an innovative folding Badger brush design.

Various four piece models, mostly German, and based on the Gillette old type head. These came in small velvet lined gold, silver, or chrome plated cases.

The recent (discontinued around 2010ish) Feather travel razor was the same thing, but made by Feather, and came in a plastic case.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Drawer, AGHisBBS and George X like this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Gillette Slim or Fatboy od ER 1912

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  14. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I use my Above The Tie M2 and carry it in a leather Waterfield razor case. It protects the razor and I don't have to worry about getting cut since it encloses the whole razor. I did use a cheap case that covered the head with a flap, but I cut my finger on the side tabs reaching in my bag.

AGHisBBS and George X like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never had a problem. I dry the brush as best I can before packing, it goes into a pill bottle with holes drilled in both ends to help ventilate, and gets taken out as soon as I get home.

16. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I rarely travel, but due to poor health I find myself on occasion admitted to the local VAMC, and I figure since there is so few pleasant accommodations at that hospital, that I would bring some creature comforts with me. Sometimes of course I am unable to use my DOPP kit for various reasons, but when I am able to use its contents, it really elevates my mood, and makes me happy. The kit itself is about 12" long/9"high/3" deep. I can really pack a lot of stuff in there. Here's a couple photos of the kit

[​IMG]
    It is called a Penguin, and they sell them at many Walmarts.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, you can put a lot of gear in one of these.

I just wanted to show this kit so others might know these kits can hold a lot of stuff. You can enjoy your wet shaving hobby almost anywhere. Have a good day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

As someone who uses single edge razors exclusively, my travel choices are a little different.

If I'm not flying to my destination I carry this Gem Triumph 1912 set with some Gem stainless steel ptfe blades:

[​IMG]

I don't carry it when I'm flying because I do the carry-ons only thing and the metal case might draw the attention of TSA and I'd hate to have it confiscated.

Instead, this goes in the Dopp bag:

[​IMG]

This used to be a Merkur travel razor. I added a setscrew and replaced the Merkur DE head with an Ever-Ready 1924 head. Disassembled it still fits in the little imitation leather case. As can be seen the Ever-Ready head is well worn, so it wouldn't break my heart if I were to lose it.

Of course TSA severely frowns on single edge blades in carry-on bags so I don't carry blades. Fortunately, CVS drugstores carry single edge blades and there always seems to be one between the airport and my hotel. If I'm going somewhere where there might not be a CVS I mail a couple of blades to myself at the hotel with instructions to hold for my arrival.

I also carry a L'Occitane Plisson synthetic brush, a puck of Arko soap, a small plastic lather bowl and some Pinaud Clubman in a TSA compliant travel bottle.

--Bob

18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

If I'm traveling and I feel that my razor may be stolen I use the Dorco plastic DE, a very good cheep-o, also passes metal detectors.

BigMike, George X, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  19. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I can't get a DE blade through TSA. Tried it once by accident, they were very polite about it, but I had to ditch the blades.

AGHisBBS likes this.