Tried my '47 Super Speed this morning.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Zook, Nov 30, 2008.

1. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Have to say that I think it's my new favorite, but it won't be my daily shaver since they are kind of hard to come by. I cleaned and polished another no date code (notched) to take it's place however.

Very nice razor in both feel, sound and shave in my opinion. :cool:

By far my favorite Gillette to this point.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What kinda blade?? :D

Congrats on finding a favorite!

3. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Thank you... Israeli Personna's (bought 100, trying to use them up) :)

4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Zook.

Where have I heard that before, ". . .my new favorite razor"? The '48-'50 SS I have gave me the same feeling. I still love to hear the razor as it shaves. I just makes a cool sound as it rubs across my face.

Now I want to warn ya, that it will not end there. After awhile you will want to go for an open comb Gillette or maybe a newer SS or a GEM SE shaver. Yes, now that you have more than one razor I can safely say the RAD will soon take hold of you.

And when you are done with those Personna blades give the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow box) blades a try. That blade and razor combo makes for a great shave for me.

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

6. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

I totally agree! The only razor I have (so far) is a '48-'50 Super Speed, and I LOVE it.

I've been using the green Gillette 7am blades, and they're pretty good. I just ordered a sample of the yellow 7 o'clock blades, however, and I am looking forward to giving them a try.

7. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Shaved with the 48-50 this morning for the first time, just awesome!

I'm a head shaver as well (don't use it for that) but it did a nice job around the ears where most other DE's fail.

So far so good... I'll have to try out some of those 7 O'Clocks, heard a lot of good things about them lately.

8. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Zook,

I am a head shaver too. I agree that you need to develop your technique before you use a DE or SE to do the head.

First couple times I used a DE on my head I had some major cuts, not nicks, cuts. Found that I could get a very good BBS head shave using Bic Sensitive disposables.

About a month ago I got brave and tried not a DE but on of my SE GEM razors on the head. To my surprise it worked as well if not better than the BIC. But I did get my GEM technique on my face down pretty good before I used it on the head.

Then last week or so I did the same with the DE razors. I now have a bit more than a dozen Bic Sensitives that I have no use for. :happy102

Oh, and when I do cut my head I need to lay off the blades for a few days so I break out my Braun 7526 electric to get the job done.

Good luck with the head shave. Remember that you need to go slow and light.