Trying different bowls

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cournot, Sep 27, 2014.

1. cournot

cournot Member

As a way of assuaging my disorders cheaply, I had gone to the Goodwill store a couple of weeks ago and bought four different cups/mugs/bowls to use for shaving. I believe I spent a grand total of $2.24. I've now settled on a huge (24 oz?) dark blue cappuccino mug as the nearly ideal lather bowl. It's wide mouthed, deep, and thick handled. The ceramic Chinese bowl was runner up but I like having a handle, and it seemed to be a bit too shallow as lather would slop out easily. I quickly learned that normal cups/mugs or smallish bowls didn't work for me

What's the best (function, not necessarily looks or uniqueness) cheap bowl you've found for lathering?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I normally use a weighted pet bowl. it's stainless steel.
    I like the height. I'm not happy with my brushes clanking on the sides. sometimes a little slops up on the edge, but it doesn't clank much

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a plastic salsa bowl I took out of the kitchen cabinet.

icemanwbs and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Im always on the look out for potential lather bowls. I primarily use a soup bowl with a handle that I found in an antique store. If I want to take a little more time, I break out the georgetown pottery scuttle. I prefer to bowl lather versus face lather.

Bristle Me and 178-bplatoon like this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Pfaltzgraff mug cropped.jpg

Pfaltzgraff soup mug (14 oz.)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

$5 from a thrift store….Ceramic 'French Onion' soup bowl with lid.
    Easy to hold, has a convenient lip to scrape the brush, large and deep enough to hold many different sized pucks comfortably.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple of good ones at Goodwill, both around 5 bucks, one silver on a pedestal and one some sort of stone (looked like a mortar without a pestle). I held back because I asked my wife to have my daughter pick one out and paint it for me at As You Wish for Father's Day. I'll stick with my VDH bowl a while longer.

8. cournot

cournot Member

Hey Hollyrollah, I saw a soup bowl like that and considered it. But they wanted 4 bux and I thought, Maybe later.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I find the fat handles on them to be very useful. They tend to not get as slippery as holding the bowl by the base and not as restricting as some bowl handles can be on the fingers.
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

That's the best way to do it cournot...try a variety and see what's working best for you. And the second-hand shops are definitely the way to go IMO - there may be some point to a $50 lather bowl, but I'm thankful I don't see it honestly!

My most frequent choice is a 5 inch suribachi, but I've a couple of 5 inch wooden bowls that I'll use once in a while as well. Thrift shop finds the lot and the 5 inch size works best for me - big enough with out being too big and they fit perfectly in hand.

[​IMG]

HolyRollah and 178-bplatoon like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

As you've discovered cournot Goodwill, flea markets and yard sales are excellent places to get stuff like bowls and mugs to use in shaving, you can also find glass bottles you can use to decant AS into.
    I use wooden cigar boxes for storing razors and blades in. One box can hold hundreds of blades.
    The best storage containers I've used for hard soaps are the small Ziploc containers. They are easy to find, inexpensive, will hold at least two pucks, simple to label, seal well and stack securely and easily.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like this silicone bowl.
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Kevin,
    I seen bowls many times with such a handle, and I've considered trying
    one each time. But I just can't get over the idea that I'll break the handle off somehow.

jan23_14_zps58c97dac_50pct.jpg

It certainly does look well suited to make lather in though.....

14. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart has awesome salsa bowls. $1.50 perfect size. Many colors .

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a SS bowl I got off ebay. It is unbreakable:) and the same dimensions as the VDH ceramic bowl that comes in the VDH shave kit. The size works well for me(fits in my palm perfectly) and the bowl(although smooth inside) makes a great lather in both amount and quality.:shaver

Bristle Me likes this.
  16. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

$1.50 salsa bowl @wal-mart w/ tweezerman badger brush and new edwin jagger IMG_20140928_095042.jpg

Omelmad likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mike, now you got me wondering how vigorously you're whipping up your shaving lather….;):D

Most of the good quality ceramic FOS bowls are pretty darn sturdy—microwave & dishwasher-safe.
    Find one with a thicker, hefty handle that feels good in the palm & easy to get a good grip, —you should then be good-to-go.

Not like this…
    [​IMG]

But like THIS:
    [​IMG]

Bristle Me likes this.