Trying new soaps but allergic to tree nuts

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by chan4070, Feb 20, 2017.

1. chan4070

chan4070 Member

I've decided to move on from the first soap I've ever used, the Sir Hare barber shop soap and I was looking at the Stirling line of soaps but I see that almond oil is one of their primary ingredients and I am seriously allergic to tree nuts. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc.

I suppose my question is are that any really good alternatives that y'all can think of that I can transition too. And two, I wonder how concentrated is the almond oil in the soap.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Avoid that stuff. Except for Shea butter, topical applications of nut containing products can cause skin sensitivity issues in people with nut allergies.

Shea butter is the one exception.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. The above information is based on internet research. I recommend that you double check it.

Almond oil concentrations are low in shave soap. Anything that isn't 'soap' affects a soap's ability to lather, so manufacturers try to keep the 'not soap stuff' down to less than 5-10%, including the sum total of skin care oils, fragrance, and other additives. Each manufacturer will have their own formula, and information like oil % is most likely a trade secret, so good luck getting that information.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Also you might want to keep in mind that Cella shaving soap also has almond too, just letting you know @chan4070 as your seriously allergic to tree nuts.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Route 66 ( retroshaveshop.com ) is an excellent soap that doesn't have any nut oils whatsoever that I could see. You absolutely cannot go wrong with either the product or the company.

How about coconut oil? If coconut oil is okay, may I strongly recommend Soap Commander? It is a phenomenal performer, with great scents, and is made by good people.

I see that Barrister and Mann uses palm and coconut in their classic bases, but I only see cocoates (is that cocoa or coconut?) in their Latha line. If these are okay, here are some more great soaps to try.

I could easily use just any one of these brands solely, and if they were the only line of soap I could ever use again, I would be a happy man. Good luck.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Oh wow, another nut allergy. Yours seems to be far worse than mine though. :(

I can have Almonds, but walnuts and cashews will close my throat right up. Along with Chocolate and Mango (as they are also closely related to cashews - who knew?)

Like stated above, I'd avoid anything with Almond oil like Cella or most of the Italian Croaps. Soap Commander is a great performer and is pretty pure with their ingredients. Stirling's "Unscented with Beeswax" is fantastic as well. There are some great soaps out there to try, but as a fellow nut allergy sufferer, please stay safe. :D

6. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Cocoate is soponified coconut oil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Williams, but the ingredients list Sodium Palm Kernelate, which, after a quick Googlizing, is derived from some kinda palm kernel seed thing. I reckon you'd better stay away from it, too (and not because it's a crappy smelly soap like *some* people think).

8. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Technically, a coconut is not a nut, it's a fruit. Typically, people with tree nut allergies are not allergic to coconut. Same is true of avocado. BTRC No. 13 Soap does contain coconut and avocado.

It is also reported to be well tolerated by people with sensitive skin (no EO'S or FO's that could cause irritation)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Also, if cocoate (derived from coconuts) is not something you are allergic to then Captain's Choice and Barrister & Mann would fit the bill. Both are excellent soaps and have a wide variety of scents and have no "nut" ingredients. Both are based on tallow.

Here is link regarding coconuts and their relation or not to tree nuts: http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2011/03/is-coconut-safe-for-people-with-tree-nut-allergies/

None of us are doctors - so check with your doctor for his/her advice. Wish you well.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017