Trying to buy a Gillette Fat Boy - (Got One )

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TexasTiger, Jun 11, 2014.

1. TexasTiger

TexasTiger Well-Known Member

Man I am having trouble winning one at a decent price on e-bay...guess I would have to want one of the more popular vintage SR's out there.

Currently high bidder on a 1959 but I am not very confident it will last....:sad027:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

FBs are constant hot commodity on ebay. Supply & demand have driven prices on them to an exorbitant level.
    I can understand the appeal—they are nice enough razors—but if I'm dropping that kind of coin on a vintage, it'd better be on a pristine, collector-quality level. Or a Barbasol FH...;):D

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Try a sniping website like Gixen. I set my max bid and it will bid for me in the final seconds of the auction. Doesn't always work but I've had it come through a couple of times

4. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I understand the quest for Fat Boy. Several of us have lucked into FB bargains, but you have to leave the pack and be patient. Some tips here.

NOTE: If you want a killer adjustable on the cheap, I fully endorse the Chinese knockoff of the Merkur Futur, which can be found here.

I wish you well on your Vision Quest. <cue "Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider>

Best of Luck!

5. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Just paid $36 for mine and saw another nice one go for about the same price the following day. Trick is to search for Gillette Adjustable Razor versus Fatboy. If advertised as a Fatboy then the price soars. They are definitely out there - find one that is "underadvertised" - bad pic, poor description and lay in wait ready to snipe. I actually didn't even need to snipe mine - put in my max bid and no one attempted to outbid me when the auction ended - good luck!

6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Yup. Someone may put one up as just a "gillette razor." I once won three straight razors for the price of one because the seller listed them as "vintage safety razor blades." Their ignorance can be a boon.

7. TexasTiger

thanks for the tips and info fellows...I will keep you posted on my successes and failures...:happy097:

8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Slims are going at good prices right now. I just bought mine for 37.00, 42.00 with shipping and all.

BigMark likes this.
  9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Are you looking for a particular date code? Are you looking for one that is mechanically sound that you can have re-plated, or are you looking for one that is minty? Condition is everything when it comes to the prices on the popular auction site. You have to get creative with your word search, or spend the time scrolling through each and every item in the razor category. I agree with you, its hard to find one under the $50-60 dollar ballpark. I have a D4 that I'm seriously thinking of putting up in the classifieds...so stay tuned.

10. TexasTiger

Not looking for any certain year just looking for one in good to excellent shape.

11. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I got a Fat Boy and a Super 84 both for $45 on ebay about six months ago. The FB had a frozen adjuster and the SA didn't have the 1/4 turn to lock. With lots of soaking and cleaning, I got both to work. Maybe look for a low cost beater and work on it???

BigMark and maltedmilk like this.
  12. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

That Chinese knockoff is one ugly razor.

13. maltedmilk

Article Team
    What ?!? No way... it's mom said it was beautiful!;)

Um... do you think the Merkur Futur is ugly, too? Just wonderin'.

My CKO Futur is well made with an excellent finish. The only "flaw" is the adjustment numbers are very faint. The shave is entirely different from my FatBoy (and Slim and Black Beauty, too), but excellent in its own right. I would hate to have to choose between them, but at this exact moment it would be a toss up between the Black Beauty and the CKO. ...and I think I might lean towards the CKO. But that choice could change with the position of the clock's second hand.

Fortunately, the only choice I have to make is which one to use tomorrow. (Psst... Tomorrow will be my new-to-me Schick Krona. Arrived today. Can't wait. Woot! ):bounce015:

14. TexasTiger

Well I got lucky.... I think , I won the one I was bidding on. Spent a little more than I was expecting but I went ahead and called it an early Father's Day Gift.

Slow Joe and maltedmilk like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I bought a Fat Boy off ebay early last year. Purchased it for around $35 shipped. Birth-year, no case, in very good condition. A little bit of polish & lube, it 'purteed right up!
    I did wind up selling it about a year or so later in another den purge. It was a good investment.
    [​IMG]

16. TexasTiger

well here are a couple of pics of the one I won. Can't wait for it to come in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigMark, ObiDon and Sean Coughlin like this.
  17. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the Krona....for me a wonderful razor. I am sure you will like and enjoy it.

maltedmilk likes this.
  18. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

My Fatboy was won on the bay for a cool $50.00, shipping extra. Still a bargain, cased in box and in EC. They can be found if you can be patient. I put a max bid of $50.00, went to sleep and woke up the new owner of a cased E1 Fatboy.

ObiDon and maltedmilk like this.
  19. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Good on yer!

Also, I second your comments on patience. I've got a Fat Boy and don't feel like I need another one, but I like to watch a few auctions just to see how the fish are biting. In general, I noticed a lull in the recent (three months or so?) frenzy on all Gillette adjustables. I think I saw at least four FBs go for $60 or less... and some of the number of bids in single digits!

Who'da thunk, eh?

20. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I agree. I got this one for $62 including shipping, 2 weeks ago. It's almost new. Be patient and look for estate sales.
    image.jpg

maltedmilk and RaZorBurn123 like this.