TSA Advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Karl G, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I traveled for the first time last week with some razors - a GEM 1912 and an OCMM. I knew not to have a blade in them and mailed one to myself at the hotel where I was staying. So far, so good.

When I went through security, my bag got pulled aside for further inspection. I waited patiently for an agent to free up to inspect it. The woman in front of me had nearly every article of clothing inspected so I wasn't looking forward to the process.

Before the agent opened the bag I told him I suspected it got pulled because of the razors and assured him there were no blades. He found them quickly and looked inside the heads to verify they were empty (but was a bit mystified by the half spine shim in the 1912 - thanks Billy! :chores016:) He then had some great advice for me. He suggested that the next time I travel that I simply separate the razors from my luggage and run them through the detection machines on their own.

I did exactly that on the return trip. No one looked twice at them and I was on my way. Good advice for all travelers who like to move through the lines quickly! :cool:

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Nothing like a Gem Half spine shim to Mystify the Security folks Sir....:happy097:
    Billy....:chores016:

Karl G likes this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip. Even if I do not intend or do ever fly that's a great idea. Almost cheaper to drive anywhere i want to go.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you store your shave brush in a cardboard tube, don't wrap it in duct tape and make end caps for it. I was traveling with the H.I.S. brush, and it doesn't exactly fit in a cardboard toilet paper roll, so I had to use two, and some duct tape to hold them together.

Apparently it looks "suspicious" in the X-ray machine. They opened my dopp kit like it had a bomb in it.

PatrickA51 and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Billyfergie

I went to Paris a few years ago with a School Teacher Bird... I have a piece of metal in my leg from an old injury ...It set off the metal detector.... The French Military were on me like vultures...I told them that I had sown a detonator under the skin on my leg to piss them off...They held me for a half hour before letting me go after nearly shooting me on the spot.....;)

The Bird Dumped me after we got back.... :happy102:

Billy

PatrickA51 and Karl G like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Aye, but it was worth it, right? :bounce015:

PatrickA51 and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Aye...She was a head nipper any roads....:happy097:

Billy...:chores016:

PatrickA51 likes this.