TSD Shootout at the OK Corral Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by COMPNOR, Feb 18, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So does anyone know anything about them? I noticed them the other day. Are the scents really gunpowder, gunmetal, and gunsmoke?

I didn't see any scent descriptions for them, and thought I'd start here.

Thanks,

Jacob

Keithmax and Jayaruh like this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Other than Gunpowder, they're brand new and limited run. No one has them yet.

I didn't do scent descriptions yet. Kinda figured the names were descriptive enough.

Unless the feedback is overwhelmingly positive for all 3 scents, I'm only keeping the best one of the 3 on the active scent list.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That sounds interesting.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  4. COMPNOR

Well like I said I wasn't sure if that's what they were actually going to be, or if just fancy names.

I do plan on ordering some, for sure. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

That does sound interesting. :)

6. Queen of Blades

I posted about it in the Vendor Corner, and there is a special offer for folks who provide me with feedback.

Bama Samurai and COMPNOR like this.
  7. COMPNOR

Ah I don't venture down there. Thanks, I'll take a look.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Queen of Blades

You should. We have many wonderful vendors who support TSD. We should support them in return. :)

9. COMPNOR

So has anyone had a chance to use these yet? I got mine in the mail today, but it might be tomorrow before I get a chance to use one. I think I am going to try Gunmetal first.

To me none had a strong scent right off the puck, so we will see what happens with they lather. I chose Lanolin BTW.

PLANofMAN and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. COMPNOR

So tonight I shaved with the Gunmetal soap (lanolin version), which is supposed to smell like Hoppes #9. I'm going to have to go find a bottle of Hoppes #9 to smell now to compare. The scent wasn't that strong off the puck, I found it pleasant (or maybe my sense of smell is shot. I feel like I have to huff the puck to smell anything).

I put the puck in the large tin offered by Stirling Soaps, and lathered directly on it. The soap lathered well, and I easily had enough for three passes. With what I had loaded, I could have probably done a 4th or 5th pass (I did use some for touchups).

I'm going to use this soap for the rest of the week, and then switch to one of the others.

PLANofMAN and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. COMPNOR

So tonight's shaved I decided to move on the Gunsmoke (lanolin). While this one I think did smell similar to gunsmoke, it was faint and lathering it up didn't seem to do anything to make it stronger or pop out. So a bit disappointed. I wonder if the original is different when it comes to scent strength?

Otherwise it is a fine soap. Lathered well, provided a nice slick shave. I'll use this one for the rest of the week, and then switch to the final soap Gunpowder.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    TSD creams have a stronger scent than the soaps...And that is generally true for any company that offers a soap and a cream in the same scent.

13. COMPNOR

Sadly they were only being offered in the soaps.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. COMPNOR

So today I started using the last of the three OK Corral soaps, Gunpowder. This one had a slightly stronger scent, in that I occasionally got a whiff of it while shaving. Only once, but more than any of the other two soaps. This one though for whatever reason I had the hardest time lathering, in that it took longer. I used the same synthetic brush, the same watering process, but it just seemed to take a lot longer to get any kind of lather out of it. And this was straight on the puck.

So out of the three, Gunsmoke really didn't do anything for me. I do like the scents of Gunmetal and Gunpowder. I just wish they were stronger. If I had to pick one, I think I would go with Gunmetal.

Gunpowder is one of my traveling soaps, and the one I plan on using the most through my three week journey so we will see what happens, if it gets easier to lather.

15. COMPNOR

So I'm going to amend my statement about the Gunpowder being hard to lather. Maybe initially, but tonight I used and had no problems, whatsoever. Using a Simpson Case brush, I soaked it hot water while I showered. Two flicks of the wrist and started swirling on the puck, and it just started bubbling up. Went straight to face lathering.

Still no scent though, which was a disappointment.

Bama Samurai likes this.