TSD texture ??

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by expatCanuck, Jan 20, 2009.

1. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

Greetings -

Can anyone advise how TSD soaps compare to HBS, TGQ or QED soaps?

I'm mostly interested in texture/lather. I like HBS & TGQ; they're different, but both feel 'correct' to me; I could elaborate reasons why I'm happy with both in my arsenal. I'm less a fan of QED soap - I'm not fond of the heightened slickness of the 'straight glycerin' soaps.

I'd welcome input from anyone who can provide a comparison.

Thanks.

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I find them better than HBS and TGQ. A little more slick but much more lubircating and protective than HBS and TGQ. I find the lather very rich and not as airy/dry as the other two.

Overall I get a much better shave from the TSD. Can't speak for the QED because I have never used them.

3. Hi Richard,

I've used all four of those soaps, and I can give you my impression about TSD compared to the others.

Both HSB and QED soaps are amazingly easy to lather, and both provide a very nice shave. The lather on em is a bit different than the TSD product.....not quite as dense maybe, but plenty of slip helping the razor waltz easily over my face. Skin care is good, except some QED soaps may have too much EOs for some people.

JoAnna's soaps most closely resemble Colleens as far as lather goes. I might have a hard time telling em apart if I was going by looks and feel. Both are at the top of the many small vendors I've tried in the past.

TSD soap looks nothing like the QED or HBS product,.......different off white color and the texture is different also. Takes a little more water to get the lather right.........took me 3-4 times to nail the water/soap ratio. Well worth the effort.

I reviewed the 'lime' version of TSD soap a while ago, if that might help.

You may like to order a sample pack, since you never know how a scent will hit you. I think the performance will be fine, so that shouldn't be a problem. My two personal favorites would be lime and coconut.

Good luck with that,
    Martin

4. JimR

JimR Active Member

Soooo, do you put the lime in the coconut?

5. Afternoon Jim,

Actually, I don't care for that combo, although I like both scents as a stand alone. Funny eh? One thing I did try a while back was to mix some of JoAnna's ginger SS in with the lime. Turned out to be a perfect rendition of ginger ale. Heh, too bad I found I didn't care to shave with that scent after all. No idea what I was thinking there.
    Martin

6. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

I'm with Tracy on this one.

I find TSD soaps to be better than HBS and TGQ soaps as well as QED soaps.

Better shave from the TSD soap - richer, wetter lather than the others.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I'm siding w/ the Bobbsey Twins here. I've tried them all except QED. TSD soap is the only small vendor soap I have found that performs well for me. I really liked the scents and the lather looked good w/ HBS and TGQ but when it came time to shave I found both to be somewhat dry and did not provide me w/ enough slippery slickness. Plus I had reactions to HBS FO's. I played with water ratios so that wasn't it. Something in those formulas just didn't work for me. TSD performs nearly as well as my tallow based, triple milled soaps and that's saying something.

8. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

We's is tripletses.

9. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

:D
    Ahhh, Harry ... one of the most brilliant, twisted and obscenely gifted singers & songwriters of all time.
    His Knnillssonn LP, the last released in the US, was tragically ignored by RCA in their efforts to capitalize upon the the death of Elvis. Well worth seeking out if you enjoy any of Nilsson's earlier efforts.

+++++

Many thanks to all for your comments & advice.

10. JimR

JimR Active Member

Man, I'm so glad somebody got that. I was worried there for a minute...

11. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I grew up with my parents playing Harry Nilsson. I was surprised when kids my age didn't (and still don't) know who he was. I have to tip my hat to my parents for introducing us to good music.

I still get a bit sick when I think of Mariah Carey singing "Without You."
    Only one person can sing that song.