TTO Adjustable = Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slinger646, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Slinger646

Slinger646 New Member

What settings on a TTO Adjustable would you say is equal to the various Super Speeds?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

On a slim I'd say 1-3

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

As I'm most familiar with a Fatboy that's the adjustable reference. All numbers are approximate based on my personal impression, YMMV, etc.:

50's flare tip = 4
    40's SS, late 60's/70's flare tip = 5
    Red Tip SS = 6

If the adjustable is a slim or super, lower all numbers by 1 and it's close.

Even though the aggressiveness can be made about the same, I still find the shave significantly different, so don't take the comparison too far.

4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I was going to say you really can't compare because the weight differance and handle size, makes the aggessive factor and shave feel so different...Before I got my SS I used to hate it when people said exactly what I'm saying now, but it really is true...There is no setting on my Slim that feels like my '52 Super Speed, with the black tip & steel handle...The Slim is heavy enough that its more like a Cadillac and straightens out all the curves and absorbs all the dips...on the other hand, my Black Tip is more like Sports Car that flies all over my face with a minimum of effort and maximum maneuverability, and lots of fun...:)

But if I had to compare, and you held a gun to my head: The below would be using my Slim for reference...

40's Style=#4 or #5 - My '52 Black Tip is a 40's Style with black plastic tto knob and steel handle = between a #5 or #6
    50's Flair-Tip: Blue-Tip=#2
    Normal=#3
    Red-Tip=#5 1/2...I quess the Red-Tip and my Black Tip shave similar except because of the weight difference and handle size, I have to
    down and pay more attention to detail, to avoid irritation with the Red Tip...Just a bit.
    60's & 70's =#3

5. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Good info. How about a Merkur Classic? Where on the Slim Adjustable would you place it?

Alan