Turkish #6

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by RaZorBurn123, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I did that jerald with one of my #6's....A guy I know who was making/restoring handles at the time took my #6 and split the handle ,freed the knot and then reinstalled it in a resin handle he made....The result for me has been "FANTASTIC"!!!

jeraldgordon, RaZorBurn123 and JRod22 like this.
  2. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Photos???

3. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I like the Turkish #6 so much that I added one in each of the man Christmas gifts this year. They have been good brushes for a fantastic price. I do not care what hair is made of as long as it works.

4. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

They will never admit that is a Boar
    When it's time for money many rules there can be "forgotten"
    The "bribe" to do your job quickly is a rule there,they "established" some words for this.

GDCarrington, crackstar and Ryan B like this.
  5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Truer words haven't been spoken.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Συμφωνώ. Αυτό είναι πολύ σωστό. :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. Doryferon

In other post i will tell you for their Sun Oil (oil from Sunflower)
    They try to convince us that it's pure Olive Oil !

:angry032:

To whom? To us !
    When it's time to sell their deception tests our nerves.

I am going back to the topic:
    As for the turkish "horse" must be on of a kind
    Horse with blond mane or tail
    Why not ? Maybe they have a race there like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course i don't say to anyone to "don't buy it"
    The reason that i haven't bought it is because many shavers here found that they over-glue it
    Much of the glue is up to the base of the bristles.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Both these brushes according to their manufacturers are made in Turkey. So lets see what everyone thinks and what are your guesses. Left or right? Which is which?

[​IMG]

Doryferon and Chuck F like this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

:happy097: Very interesting...After looking at these two brushes and the #6 I own and use everyday...I think the brush on my left as I look at the picture is the #6....:)

10. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Apparently hey do have such horses:
    http://www.petcaregt.com/horsecare/horsebreeds/nativeturkishhorse.html
    Native Turkish Horse
    [​IMG]
    Native ponies are widely used in Turkey for all kinds of farm work, as pack patties, in harness, and for riding. They are tough, enduring animals of no racial distinction except for their readiness to do any job that is asked.
    The native Turkish horse has descendents from crosses of various horse breeds. Professors Salahattin Batu and M. Nurettin Aral made a division in the types of horses. The word Anadolu is interpreted as ‘Turkey on the Asia’, where it is believed that there are around 930,000 Turkish horse breed alive till date.

178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Strictly a guess. Right.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

One and One so far. Who else will venture a guess?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

So apparently a native Turkish horse with the correct coloration of mane and tail exists in Turkey in some numbers at any rate...It looking more and more like the #6 is a horse hair brush...:happy088:

At this point I completely agree with "geraldgordon"...Whether the #6 is horse, hog, dog or unicorn it's a really nice brush, that lathers really well and I.M.O. the knot alone is easily worth "WAY" more then bestshave charges for the entire brush!!!...For what it costs it's a "FANTASTIC" must have brush!!! I'm glad I have several, I only wish I could get just the knots..:)

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have to tell all of you, but the hairs on the #6 and the Shaving Factory are the very same hairs. They are thicker than horse hair and severely split at the ends. Horse hairs do not split near to the level of boar hairs.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brushes.34651/

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brushes.34651/page-2#post-608157

In addition barbers who have gone to Turkey also report that Turkish barbers knowingly use Boar hair brushes.

Start at 36:30 on this podcast of the discussion of Turkish barbers using Boar brushes.

http://howtogrowamoustache.com/mous...h-miguel-gutierrez-the-nomad-barber/#comments

The last link contains a large cross section of Shaving Factory brushes and the description of the hairs taken below.

Pure Bristle Shaving Brushes - the hair is taken from hogs and is favoured by wet shavers who prefer a stiffer shaving brush. The hog bristle comes in a variety of textures from the very stiff Grey through to brown and slightly softer bleached white. (Made in TURKEY by shave factory).

http://www.salonlines.co.uk/trade-s...and-shaving-brushes/Hog-Hair-Shaving-Brushes/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    Doryferon, RaZorBurn123 and Ryan B like this.
  15. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I've spent some time researching and I don't see anything I would consider conclusive, one way or the other. "Bristle" (and therefore also "setola") is defined as a short, stiff hair, not necessarily boar but from any animal. While we may have an expectation that it means boar it isn't necessarily boar. Do we know that the Shaving Factory brushes being sold as "bristle" are boar and not horse? The salonlines site specifies "hog" for some but just bristle for others. Could it be that in Turkey they think in terms of bristle and aren't concerned about whether the bristle comes from a boar or a horse?

16. Doryferon

So what do you think,those "horse" brushes as the #6 are 50/50 or 65/35 ?
    I have 2 Vie-Long (real) Horse brushes and as far as i can see in the net No other country produces those "blond" brushes as the #6
    Maybe it's an exclusive product.

:cool:

Am not an expert but from the time that gazi-Osman at 1299 AD created a small sultanate of muslims the word "anadolu" meant the one sector of the Byzantine Empire
    Looks like the Greek word "Anatolh"
    Murat A' used widely latter.
    There was NO "turkey" country or "turkish" people that time (those words adopted officially in 1930) but only "ottoman".

17. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

A few weeks ago I dropped by some retailers' and wholesalers' stores for horse hair shaving brush but I couldn't find any in Turkey sadly. They said that I can't find any of them these days because importing cheap boar bristle from China is common between shaving brush makers in Turkey. Horse hair is used for painting brushes or barbers use them for the back of the neck according to what they said.
    Many local Turkish brands like jaguar,banat,temizel,niva..etc only use boar/syntetic. So don't expect to get a horse hair brush. It is most probably boar.

I'm not an expert,too but I need to correct some mistakes in your article;
    Osman gazi founded the Ottoman empire in Bilecik,Söğüt in 1299, and our ancestors, Ottomans had lots of ethnicities among them like Turks,Turkmens,Arabs,etc. We,Turks migrated from Asia centuries ago and there was this term(Turk) for us centuries ago. The republic of Turkey officially founded by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk on 10/29/1923. The long lasting (1299-1922) Ottoman empire ended in 1923. And, "anadolu" is a Turkish word, it's English translation is "anatolia" which means the asian part of modern Turkey, not byzantium empire's ex borders in Thracia(east of Europe).

Oh man, the words you say is not fair!
    Of course there are some people who cheats,bribes or cons. But in every society there are some good and bad people. Making a generalization is not fair, is not correct. I appreciate European and Conus sellers because of their honesty. And I prefer them whenever I buy something online. But there are also villains,cons,tricksters in those societies, too. We can't say all Dutch people are junkies likewise all German people are alcoholics.
    I hope, you understood what I meant.

18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't think he meant anything by what he said. I think he was talking about that specific company and not all Turks.

Tdmsu, Recklesstr and GDCarrington like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ryan that is also how I take that statement as it being the specific company not the countrymen. Now it could be that the supplier to the selling company could have been deceitful as well. In other words the suppler may have told a piece of incorrect information to the final seller and that was taken as copy point. Sadly that happens far too often regardless of physical (national) location or personal background.

fram773, Slipperyjoe and Ryan B like this.
  20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

And I find it hard to believe a merchant is going to intentionally lie about a $2 brush being horsehair instead of boar. Do you really think it will make that much difference on the number he sells and the profit he makes? It's possible, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Recklesstr and 178-bplatoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.