Turkish horse hair brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by OdinsBeard, Jan 19, 2012.

1. OdinsBeard

OdinsBeard New Member

Being new to DE shaving, I thought I'd start of with a cheap brush and bought the $2.49 horse hair brush as recommended by Bruceonshaving (http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/11/23/669/).

It FINALLY arrived today, and seems alright but... it does have a characteristic odour.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to get rid of the smell. (I've tried washing up liquid but that doesn't seem to have worked.)

Also, I'm curious - do badger brushes smell a bit funny when they're new?

Any advice gratefully received!!

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Try white vinegar, or shampoo, Ive never had a badger brush that had any real odoer, i had a boar that wasnt too good, but it went afetr a few days :)

OdinsBeard likes this.
  3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

A few washes with pet shampoo should do the trick. I have heard that those horse hair brushes can be quite odorous.

OdinsBeard likes this.
  4. OdinsBeard

OdinsBeard New Member

Thanks guys, the brush really does smell a bit pony!

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

6. OdinsBeard

OdinsBeard New Member

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

Getting out the funk from turkish HH is my speciality. Pet shampoo is a good choice. But for me I use a few shampoos of cheap liquid dish detergent. Let it dry in between. Then I use mainly Arko to break it in. Smell should be gone in a week or so. If you were lucky and get a good knot, I've found that violently drying them (rubbing) on a towel will hasten the break in of the stiff mane hair used. I have 1 I've been using over a year and it continues to improve with use. It's a good brush and a you made a wise purchase IMHO.

178-bplatoon, OdinsBeard and madmedic like this.
  8. OdinsBeard

OdinsBeard New Member

Thanks, I take heart from that.

The brush, after marinating alternately in vinegar, washing up liquid and mint shampoo is now languishing in a bicarbonate solution....

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yes, the funk will leave. Just doesn't want to give up the ghost.

10. Red-Leg

Red-Leg Member

I just received an update to my order of last week. It is now "packaged". I'm not holding my breath waiting for delivery, but I figured two brushes for under $10 delivered from Turkey was well worth trying out. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I've received three orders from Turkey to Canada in about 2 weeks.Also if from Bestshave.net ,that site generally gets good ratings.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. senex

senex Member

They are a great price but I would love to know if the hair comes from Horse grooming or from a knackery?
    The Spanish companys say they get theirs from grooming but I have not seen any statements about Turkish made brushes.

13. Red-Leg

Red-Leg Member

Sadly, mine arrived yesterday...in a completely crushed and empty box with a big red stamp stating "Received Without Contents". Fortunately, BestShave.net was very understanding and will be re-sending my order as soon as the #6 brushes come back into stock.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I have two of them. Been using ~ Yr. Really like them.
    Yes, they did remind you of your 1st pony ride. What I did that worked was: rinse with warm water a couple of times and then soak in a mixture of Borax and water for ~ 2hrs. Just the hair part. Then wash was with a nice hair shampoo. I did this a couple of time and it did away with the horsiness of the brushes .
    You'll like them.

15. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I got mine a few days ago, what a great brush. The quality was very good, the only issue I could see was a bit of glue on the base of the knot, not a big deal for me. The thing lathers like a champ.

I washed it with pet soap, rinsed it well and then used it the next day for shaving. It's already got a bit of a bloom going on. I noticed that the tips are splitting, like a boar brush. I have heard people claim these are actually boar due to the hair ends splitting. I can only say that I am fairly familiar with what a horse smells like. Unless the folks at bestshave have a Eau De Horse that they use on the brush, this is most definitely horse hair. I don't know how to account for the splitting ends except to say that apparently horse hair splits too.

This is an exceptional value. A really solid brush for $2.45. I have already ordered a #7. I have used this brush every day and I don't see any reason to buy another brush. Of course I will buy more brushes because I am a sick, sick man. I'm just saying I don't see any REASON to buy another brush. If my wife asks, I will deny ever having said this by the way. This post will self destruct.

JRod22 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've had my Bestshave #6 Turkish horse for almost two years now. I never felt mine was overly smelly, all I did was to give it a few shampoos with Dawn dish soap,Pert hair shampoo, and make a few lathers(practice lathers are always beneficial and fun in the beginning anyway) with I think it was Van der Hagen and Williams at the time. All smell other than shave soap was gone in a day or two.

I'm very sorry to hear what happened to your #6. After dealing with Turkish postal authorities, you "REALLY" appreciate our post office!!! Amazing that any mailorder business get done over there,but when your #6 horse arrives if its anything like the ones I've ordered you'll Love it.... :).

In fact the only bad or good thing depending on how you look at it, is that the #6 has completely killed my SBAD. However now I collect vintage handles that appeal to me in hopes of one day getting a #6 knot put into one or more of these vintage handles....:happy102:

One more thing I also own a couple of Vie-Long horse brushes. While I prefer the #6, the Vie-Longs are ok and a different experience. So it's like having two different brushes I.M.O. I hope your #6's come soon!!!!

17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Been buying from Bestshave for sometime. I've never had a problem with their mailings.
    I did have a package opened by Customs once. All it looked like they did was take the cap off a tube of shave cream, saw that the foil tab was still on and put back in the box (leaving the cap off). No damage.