TurnNShave Brush Reviews

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Zykris, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I hope you like it! After about ten shaves I noticed mine splayed easier. Did you get the knot set at his normal of 54mm?

P.S. Tuesday, I believe he said, he is revealing two new knots on his etsy site!

2. KJB

KJB New Member

I have the same handle from Milton with a 24mm synthetic knot. I like it and it’s my most often used brush.

Zykris likes this.
  3. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Standard setting quarter moon knot has arrived.
    Two shaves in.
    Soft face feel = splays well when applying the lather.
    Seems to retain more water than some other STF knots. Also noticed that it did not splay while loading.
    Time will tell...
    Certainly a keeper.

SpeedyPC and Zykris like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Same here.

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

It tends to loosen up after about a dozen uses from my experience.

6. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I commissioned a custom brush for my 17yr old son from him last night. Look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Post a picture for us to see. Love to see what you ordered for your son.

8. capsfanx

Definitely will. He is a huge New England Patriots fan. So I picked up a Gillette Slim Adjustable for him that I am sending off to Delta Echo to have him refinish it in Patriots Colors. So I also decided to have a brush made for him as well. He is going to use Navy, Red, Silver and White in the handle for me and use a 25mm Quarter Moon knot.

Going to be a Xmas present for him. He and I both got into this back in May and he is really enjoying it.

Zykris likes this.
  9. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Approximately ten shaves in with this brush.
    A combination of: creams, hard soaps, Uber lathers (mixes), face and bowl lathering.
    The splay has opened up as was advised. It is deceptive because when the knot is dry it closes up again..
    Well... the brush is currently ranked #1 (against all comers: Badger, Boar and STF)
    Thanks for the recommendation Zykris

Zykris likes this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

you are quite welcome!

11. capsfanx

IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1929.JPG

@Zykris......Here are the pics he sent me. It is shipping out tomorrow. Was going to go with the Quarter Moon but in talking with my son he mentioned he liked the Bulb shape better. So switched up and went with the Tuxedo instead. Turned out really nice! I think he will love it when he gets it Xmas morning.

Zykris likes this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Yeah, that looks really nice! I think he'll like it too. Milton does great work!

capsfanx likes this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

WP_20180116_001.jpg
    My Whipped Dog 24mm Badger wasn't doing so well. So using a steam method I read about, i pulled the old badger knot out and order a 24mm boss knot from Milton from TurnNShave. Couple days ago, it arrived and I glued the handle and knot together. Twelve hours later, i tested the bond by light tugging the knot. Guess i screwed up the first attempt. Lol oh well. I added a few washers into the handle to raise the loft a bit. I tend to favor higher loft brushes, glued again and waited 36 hours this time. IMAG00024.jpg
    Here's the finished product. I'm guessing the loft is about 57-58mm based on a 55mm brush in my den. I'll use it once a mail call arrives

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice brushes.

Douglas Carey and Zykris like this.