Third-party Emoticons

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Smott, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Some of you expressed interest in the emoticons I use from time to time. Here's a quick tutorial for how I do it. As you move through this post, you'll probably think the following:
    • "He's using emoticons that aren't on TSD? He's cheating on us!"
    • "Hmm, but let's see how he's doing this..."
    • "Uhhh, that seems like a lot of work just to get a different version of the same thing..."
    • "I'm not talking to Steve anymore."
    Without further ado:
    1. Open this link in a new tab. It's Yahoo's IM emoticon reference site.
    2. Right-click on the emoticon of your choice (or visit the "hidden emoticons" link at the bottom of the page and select one from there by right-clicking).
    3. Click Copy Image on the context menu that comes up.
    4. Go back to the TSD tab (hmm, that's actually like saying "the The Shave Den." Awkward).
    5. Place your cursor where you want the emoticon to show up in your post.
    6. Paste (CTRL-V or CMD-V) the emoticon. Voila!
    Note: This works for other sites besides Yahoo's page. The reason I stick to Yahoo's site is because that's likely the exact reference they use for their images when they're used in IM discussions. These are very small files, and Yahoo, a massive, reputable Internet company, likely won't mind. However, other sites may not feel the same and/or may replace the image file you posted here with a less than desirable image to punish those who hotlink their images. [​IMG]Beware!

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you just want to chide me for expending so much energy and effort for something so small. [​IMG]

EDIT: Ryan is a bigger nerd than I am and came up with a streamlined method which I've since adjusted my instructions to reflect. Bless his little heart. And curse it at the same time.

If those steps don't work for you, there's a longer method that's guaranteed to work, or your money back:
    1. Open this link in a new tab. It's Yahoo's IM emoticon reference site.
    2. Right-click on the emoticon of your choice (or visit the "hidden emoticons" link at the bottom of the page and select one from there by right-clicking).
    3. Click Copy Image Location on the context menu that comes up.
    4. Go back to the TSD tab (hmm, that's actually like saying "the The Shave Den." Awkward).
    5. Place your cursor where you want the emoticon to show up in your post.
    6. Click the Insert/edit image button in the post editor (the little tree photo).
    7. Paste (CTRL-V or CMD-V) the emoticon's URL in the box.
    8. Click Insert. Voila!

Slipperyjoe, PLANofMAN and JimPo42 like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Or you can "copy and paste" the emoticon directly into the body of the post. I find that a little easier. It saves about 7 steps.
    [​IMG]
    1. Find emoticon.
    2. Right click on emoticon, select "copy"
    3. return to post, right click on body of post, select "paste"

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

4. Smott

Nice. I've adjusted my instructions accordingly.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Ya..maybe it's just me..but I needed that extra step and with copy image location or I just get this..http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/1.gif
    sooo maybe you should leave in those extra steps. Could be Firefox or the Lynux I'm on..[​IMG]

6. Smott

The other reason I use Yahoo is they do a nice job trimming their emoticons for a tidier appearance on the Vintage background (ie, they have better shaves):

EXHIBIT A: :happy097:

EXHIBIT B: [​IMG] (Yahoo)

7. Smott

Instead of clicking "Copy Image Location", just click the option right above that: "Copy Image." Try that and see.

8. Slipperyjoe

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yeah, I find the "copy image" procedure doesn't work. I don't know if it's a FF issue or something else tho. At times, it *will* work but only until the next page reload. The link method is much more functional.

10. Slipperyjoe

It's funny but I also have problems on this sight uploading..I need to advance with the more options button to get the proper window, otherwise I get this FF window for browsing which really is a pain..go figure...

11. Smott

That's strange, since I use Firefox.

Here's a screen capture:
    capture.png

I go to the Yahoo page. I right-click an emoticon. I click "Copy Image." I go back to the post editor on TSD. I hit CTRL-V to paste it. The emoticon itself shows up in the editor window:

capture2.png

Could Linux be the problem? If so, perhaps I'll have to go back and add a "Normal" tutorial section and an "Abnormal" tutorial section. hehe

12. richgem

:p

I have to use Windoz at work, so I don't think it's an OS issue.

13. Slipperyjoe

Drol..lol. Though there are sometimes incompatibilities and other issues, IMO the benefits by far, still outweigh the deficits.. I luv the big L..:love029:

richgem likes this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Could be one of those mystery.. c o m p u t e r.. things..:signs136:

15. Smott

You can't paste emoticons directly into a post editor window. That's the most critical responsibility of an OS! [​IMG]

The tutorial has been re-edited to include instructions for my more difficult customers. hehe

16. richgem

Linux just turns them all into: [​IMG] anyhow. :D

Slipperyjoe and Smott like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've finally found something that Google Chrome excels at! Pity it seems to be the only thing it excels at.

18. Smott

No, like I said, I use Firefox (and it copies emoticons just fine on my system)!

19. Slipperyjoe

Could even be a hardware issue or a case of spooky mathematics..who knows. I can get it to work and that's the main thing..anyways the info will probably be useful..maybe even save a life or two lol. Thanks for posting Steve..[​IMG]

Smott and GDCarrington like this.
  20. richgem

'Cuz it's all about Mr. Rusty Metal Tetanus. :D ;)

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.