Tuxedo or Cashmere?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by americanshamrock, Feb 3, 2017.

?

What is your preferred synthetic knot?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2018.
  1. Tuxedo

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Cashmere

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Other (please state)

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Found a handle to restore and seeing as I don't have a synthetic that is the route that I will be taking. I have never used a synthetic knot so I turn to the denizens of this great forum and ask, "which synthetic knot do you prefer? "

Thanks in advance!

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Don't know the others, but my Simpson CH2 Synthetic (2nd version) is a winner.

Demidog and americanshamrock like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Post a picture of the handle. I have the Tuxedo, Cashmere, and Faux Horsehair from A P Shave Co. They are all good knots in my opinion. The Faux Horsehair is a 22 mm knot.

Demidog, RyX and americanshamrock like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've never used a synthetic knot. But as a penguin, I can tell you that you can never go wrong with a tuxedo. :D

5. americanshamrock

I'm not at home but here is someone-else's pic of the same make/model a Dubl Duck M-3. The knot on the one I found is much worse...
    [​IMG]

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Fan shaped boar knot. I'm looking for an new knot like that. Nearly all brush manufacturers doing bulbs.
    Check the APShaveCo page on Etsy for the sizes. The Tuxedo was available in (I think) 24 & 30mm. The cashmere and faux horse were both smaller.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Depending on the diameter of the hole I would go with the Tuxedo. It would give a better contrast.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Actually the cashmere is 24 mm.

RyX and americanshamrock like this.
  9. americanshamrock

I need a 24mm hence my quandary. As Doug said I think a tuxedo would have a nice contrast while a cashmere would be more original. I was wondering which was the better performer. Although if they are equal I'm leaning toward a tuxedo knot.
    I'm looking for a synthetic because I already have 2 boar, 2 badger (1 finest and 1 silvertip), 1 mixed badger/boar, and 1 horse.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Keep 'em coming...

Robyflexx, twhite, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I think the Tuxedo has a little more backbone.

twhite, RyX and americanshamrock like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Tuxedo would look nice on that handle. Nice knot, too.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was wondering if they felt different. Thanks for the assessment Doug!

That handle looks like one I see in Adam's @Drygulch SOTD photos. Not sure if he has restored or is using the original knot.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I haven't tried the cashmere, but the Tuxedo would sure look good in it, and it is one hell of a good knot.

14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have tried every type of brush out there: boar, synthetic, horse, and every grade of badger. I have used $10 brushes and $300 brushes. I have literally tried all of the top recommend brushes/brush makers out there. The absolute best brush I have ever tried has been the tuxedo knot. It looks incredible firstly. I think it is the best LOOKING brush out there.

It is also the softest brush I have ever seen. The finest silvertip badger and fully broken in boars can't hold a candle to it.
    The backbone is also very good. It can stand up to all soaps.

It is far cheaper than most knots you can possibly buy. Sure, you can spends tons on top-end, hand knotted, what-have-you, but this is better.

15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've only used a Maggard synthetic, a Plissoft (same knot as Maggard), and a Whipped Dog synthetic. I found the first two too abrasive although they perform consistently well. The Whipped Dog is perfect for me. It's like lathering with a pillow. The Tuxedo knot certainly looks really nice and I hope to try it some day although the WD will always be my main choice.

16. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I personally like the way the Tuxedo looks on an aluminum handle. Not only that, but it is a nice knot.

Greg W.

[​IMG]

17. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I just recently bought a Tuxedo and a Cashmere knot for my B-400 brush

[​IMG]

I like them both, maybe the Tuxedo a little bit better than the Cashmere. Difference is marginal though, both are great performers.

18. americanshamrock

Welches ist besser für aufschäumen das gesicht? (sorry for my poor German it's been many years)

Robyflexx, Douglas Carey and Marverel like this.
  19. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

No need to apologize - you did great :happy088:

I am a face latherer myself and I THINK the Tuxedo has a very slight edge over the Cashmere. But that might just be personal preference. The Cashmere feels a little smaller (maybe because of the slightly different shape), the Tuxedo a wisp softer.

But basically each of them offers soft tips and nice backbone, both Tuxedo and Cashmere are great knots, top of the line synthetics. You won't go wrong with any of them. Sorry if that did not make the decision any easier for you ;)

Robyflexx, RyX, twhite and 3 others like this.
  20. americanshamrock

Danke Marverel!

Given the overwhelming support for the tuxedo knot, I have decided that it is the knot for me.
    Thanks to all for their input!

wristwatchb, RyX, twhite and 4 others like this.