Tuxedo or Cashmere?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by americanshamrock, Feb 3, 2017.

?

What is your preferred synthetic knot?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2018.
  1. Tuxedo

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Cashmere

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Other (please state)

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Looks great.

americanshamrock likes this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

They look amazing! :happy096: I have a Cashmere in my Rubberset #4. I haven't used it very much, however I may do a focus on Rubberset next month.

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I believe you will be very happy with your decision. Let us know after you have used it a few times.

RyX, americanshamrock, twhite and 2 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Tuxedo

RyX, americanshamrock and twhite like this.
  5. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I took mine out of an Omega plastic brush that was £5. The knot is excellent.

6. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've just ordered a Tuxedo knot. At the moment it is somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. Waiting...

americanshamrock, twhite, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Those of you in the US who've purchased from APShaveCo, how long did shipping take?

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

3 days. Ordered on Friday and I had it on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. gwsmallwood

Wow, should I be worried? Got my shipping notice on 2/14 and I'm still waiting....

10. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I wouldn't worry Garrett. I got a shipping notice 2/11 and received my tuxedo knot today 2/21.

11. gwsmallwood

False alarm. They came today. I really can't tell the difference in the bare knots. If anything, the Tuxedo just feels a tad more dense.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The should be a big difference in color.

Attached Files:

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mine was about the same, but it seemed longer not having tracking to check.

14. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I am looking at both as well. Why did you like the tux better? was it the backbone? Was it the softness? any input would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    David

15. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Thanks,
    Which is softer and which do you think will hold heat better?
    I am still undecided.
    DB

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I think maybe warm rather than heat. Hard to say which would be better. I'll try both in a scuttle and let you know.

americanshamrock and RyX like this.
  17. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

thanks!

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I whipped up lather in a scuttle with hot tape water in it last night. Both the Tuxedo and Cashmere knots performed very well. I believe the Tuxedo knot had a little more backbone.

RyX, Demidog, DBart. and 1 other person like this.
  19. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

great. thank you for testing!

20. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I have a feeling that the tuxedo is very close to my awesome Plissoft. (Dense, soft, and very good backbone.) So I went with the Cashmere: their listing says the following:

"The Cashmere - one of THE softest knots I've ever felt to date. The hair in this knot is super thin, providing you with one of the softest knots you'll ever feel on your face. However, the extra density of the knot provides you with that backbone needed to provide a creamy lather. The thin hair and extra density pair perfectly in this knot to give you a fantastic shaving experience! This knot is NOT like the Omega Boar synthetics."

Then I emailed a few questions and this was their very fast response. I said I have a Plissoft and wanted to know which of theirs was nicer.
    Their response was.

"It depends on what you're looking for to be honest. The tuxedo has pretty good backbone with soft tips. The cashmere has extremely soft tips and alot of splay. Personally, I prefer the Cashmere as the tips are unmatched IMO. The tuxedo is what got me started and what everyone raves about though."

Then I asked about heat retention. Their response: "The cashmere holds water very well. As for heat, i don't own a scuttle (face latherer here) so this ones tough for me to speak on. I'd call it moderate since I haven't noticed it to have exceptional heat retention, yet I haven't noticed it lacking either."

I bought the Cashmere.
    Thanks
    DB