Twelve blades for Two Years shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Taipan, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape Well-Known Member

Especially since the conditioning in the early 1900s went very much in the other direction. Just one factor as an example: hundreds of thousands of men were turned into safety razor users after being issued them by various armies during WW1. And most of those "service kits" came complete with a pack of blades -- which were expected to last the user for a certain period of time. IIRC, for example, the Gillette US Army Service Kit came with 12 blades that were expected to do the soldier for a year -- basically a month a blade minimum. The Gem, Valet and other kits were similar. Someone trained to treat his shaving gear that way wouldn't even dream of going "3 shaves and done" on a blade.

During WW2, the civilian mantra for everything was: "Use it up; Wear it out; Make it do, Or do without."

The whole "3 and done" approach doesn't really appear until the invention of the junk disposable razors in the mid-cartridge era sometime in the 1970s to 1980s.

Taipan and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to locate the reference where I read about the 'two-year' claim. No luck so far, but I'll keep trying.