Twelve blades for Two Years shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Taipan, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Especially since the conditioning in the early 1900s went very much in the other direction. Just one factor as an example: hundreds of thousands of men were turned into safety razor users after being issued them by various armies during WW1. And most of those "service kits" came complete with a pack of blades -- which were expected to last the user for a certain period of time. IIRC, for example, the Gillette US Army Service Kit came with 12 blades that were expected to do the soldier for a year -- basically a month a blade minimum. The Gem, Valet and other kits were similar. Someone trained to treat his shaving gear that way wouldn't even dream of going "3 shaves and done" on a blade.

During WW2, the civilian mantra for everything was: "Use it up; Wear it out; Make it do, Or do without."

The whole "3 and done" approach doesn't really appear until the invention of the junk disposable razors in the mid-cartridge era sometime in the 1970s to 1980s.

Keithmax, Taipan and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to locate the reference where I read about the 'two-year' claim. No luck so far, but I'll keep trying.

3. hairball

hairball New Member

30 days in a month, 2 edges per blade, 1 blade edge per month.

if the early gem blades, using the same steel and thickness, can go for months without stropping, then the Gillette can too

4. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I just wondered if anyone had put it to the test. We all know that advertised claims are sometimes at odds with reality.

5. hairball

hairball New Member

well I do remember reading that a brand new valet blade, when stropped after each shave should be able to last the average man 2-3 months of daily usage. Cant really try that with vintage blades due to oxidization and an apparent lack of quality in blade production once razor production stopped.

6. brit

brit in a box

i am now inclined to try shaving with one bade to see how many shaves i can get. i know de blades are inexpensive and i use them for4-5 shaves ,but if gsb and gillette platinum last long as well as smooth and sharp ,that would be a bonus.

Taipan likes this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

12 blades. I would get somewhere between 36 to 48 days out of it, MAX!!!

Taipan likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I can't take a blade past two shaves, but this is also 2017.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:D