withdrawn

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fram773, Jan 11, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

withdrawn

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Very interesting, how did you happen to notice the difference? I have several 1924's and used one to shave daily for quite a while and never noticed this..Please keep us upto date on what you discover.....:)

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

They seemed to have changed up the production of these a little over time for some reason, probably cost. The threaded area where the handle attaches to the frame was also changed at some point during their production, and some have a small number stamped on them that no one really knows what it means. Lloyd (Bird Lives) has done a lot of great research on the history of the ER 1924.

fram773 likes this.
  4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Nice observation!

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had been looking at the 1924, but this thread inspired me to pull the trigger on one. So, thanks guys, it is on the way. I will let you know my impressions when it arrives.

Bird Lives and fram773 like this.
  6. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Same here^ along with a minty Gbar

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

[​IMG]
    I think I got the more aggressive one...

fram773 likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is my new ER24. I have shaved with it twice, and I find it to be among the most aggressive razors I own. I am taking time off from it, but I will revisit it later and see if it handles any better.
    DSCF6263.JPG

Shamrock likes this.
  9. BudWhite

SE shaving is not for the faint of heart

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  10. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Most definitely the most aggressive razor I've used to date...but BBS with less passes - always a good thing. :)

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The ER 1924's I own have the blade exposure that look like yours..I used to shave with one everyday and enjoyed the shave "VERY" much!! In fact the only reason I don't use it anymore is it has gotten very hard to find Gem blades locally anymore...:(

Shamrock likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just like using a DE for the first couple of times - slow, patient, NO PRESSURE, watch what you're doing, respect the blade.
    And just like using a DE, once you get all that figured out, piece o' cake.

macaronus, 178-bplatoon and Shamrock like this.
  13. BudWhite

Just tore up my chin with a '14! lol. First time navigating my chin with a SE since I usually sport a goatee.

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Mine is like Eddie's and the one on the right in your group shot....
    Thats wild, they are definitely different....I know of different changes that were made to this razor over the years but that blade exposure difference on this version is news to me....;)

I know the 1924 patented version has a collar joint on the head that the handle screws into and the 1925 patented one the handle screws directly into a hole in the head... The '25 pat. is like yours and mine...
    But I've never heard about the differences in blade gap...Cool! So there's an ER '24 for everybody...;) I know I love mine...

BW, sorry about the chin..
    :shocked003:
    But,....If you had to tear it up, at least you had the good taste to do it in style with one of the coolest looking razors ever...lol!....
    :happy088:
    The ER'14 is another one of those very efficient shavers...which reminds me of the Str8 experience...as does my ER '24....as you said, not for the faint of heart...ha,ha! Although I don't think I ever got so many consistantly close BBS's with a Str8 as I do with my Ever-Readys...;)

BudWhite likes this.
  15. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Used my 1924 pictured above for the second time tonight. The 1st time I tested it on my face, and got a few nicks and a little irritation; tonight I decided to use it - very timidly at first - on my 3 day of growth on my head as well...it was an AMAZING shave all the way around! No nicks - not even on my head - and only slight irritation on my face, I assume from my face not having recovered from my initial outing with the 1924, as my head has NO irritation; and talk about BBS...I don't know that my head has ever been this smooth! I swear, it feels like glass. :D

All in all, I LOVE the 1924 :D :)

macaronus and fram773 like this.
  16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I feel your pain. I shaved my goatee off a few months ago and it looked like I shaved with a cheese-grater. That was with a DE though.

BudWhite likes this.
  17. gunslinger1108

gunslinger1108 Active Member

I have two different 24's one has the long threaded collar for the handle, the other has the threaded area more integrated in the bottom side of the head.

Another interesting bit about these razors is that they use the same thread pattern as the Gillette three piece razors. Although the male and female ends are reversed. But with a short section of 10/32 to mate the ER head and A Gillette handle you can create your own Frankenrazor! Make sure you add a slot to either end of the study in case it gets stuck in one or the other.

[​IMG]

BigMark, macaronus and fram773 like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ooh...shiny....

19. castrobabble

castrobabble Member

I'm still confused on how to tell which one is more aggressive.

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A simple rule of thumb is the more blade exposure the more aggressive the razor.
    I'm not saying this is universally true or the only aspect to look at - but it's an easy 'quick estimate' of what one can expect.