Two is one and one is none

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by americanshamrock, May 24, 2012.

1. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I now have duplicates of my favorite DE and SE razors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So does anyone else subscribe to this principle?

Ray Settanta and GDCarrington like this.
  2. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

first where are the pics?

and second to answer your question, on a couple of items yes but as a rule no.

3. americanshamrock

Original post has been edited to include pics ;)
    Seeing as I had a small problem originally :o

4. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

AH, much better. :rofl:

Nice sets.

americanshamrock likes this.
  5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I have some near duplicates, triplicates, perhaps quadruplicates, like Gem 1912s with different styles of handle and minor variations in head design, or some different styles of Schick G1. I gave away extras on a few perfectly good but less favored razors. I wouldn't mind having one extra of perhaps three or four hard to find favorites, but it's not really a policy. I just try to make sure nothing bad happens to the ones I have.

Mind you, those twin cased Golden 500s are very nice.:happy088:

6. Blobster

Blobster Member

No duplicates here but it seems like a very good excuse for buying more razors. I guess if I bumped in to one somewhere I might be tempted.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I have duplicates of the 1934 Gillette Aristocrat, my favorite, just in case one breaks.

8. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Hmmm. That is one way to look at it I had not considered. I have been working at getting one razor for each kind of unique experience. Making me rethink things.

9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I have 3 Gem OCMMs. I used to have 4 but gave one away in March. I'll be keeping my eyes out for some more Valet AutoStrops & any good deals on OCMMs. I think you should have multiples of each razor you truly enjoy!

10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I don't yet, but I've been thinking of getting one of the new EJ DE8911's in gold, and another Gillette Old should the right price show up on eBay...

11. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I do have some duplicates of inexpensive vintage razor grade razors, like the superadjustable black long handle with gold head, several slim adjustables, 2 fatboys, several aristocrats, several flairs, rocket flairs, Schick G1, G2, G3, Schick adjustable. I also have around 3 complete Rolls razors with extra blades, if that counts.

I haven't done this for the modern razors yet, but am tempted to get another Weber to join my ARC long handle and DLC bulldog handle.

12. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Yes I confess to having a few duplicates - depending on what you categorise as duplicates.

Your pic has a Slim and an Aristocrat for example. Both essentially the same razor but on that definition I have HEAPS of duplicates from 1903/04 and 1904 and multiple 1905 (in different cases) Double Rings forward. As a semi-collector the variations are what keep you going.

13. americanshamrock

Let me clarify. I was speaking more utilitarian. If a razor is out of service for whatever reason (broken, out for repairs/replating, stolen, lost, abducted by aliens, etc.) I would like to have a replacement on hand. A nice bonus is that it helps rationalize buying more razors :D ;).

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I understand it totally, I'm jut waiting to get a cheap 59 fatboy, just in case, my other razor of choice at the moment is the ej89l, one is enough as I can't see much going wrong with a 3 piece. Esp as I take good care of my razors.

15. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

I also have a few duplicates. Two gold Gem MM Bullet tips, two silver Gem MMs, a few Gillette Old Types and a couple of News. This happened mainly because I bought one and liked it so much I had to have another with a case.