Ugliest Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jun 18, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

"To each his own" is indeed the bottom line here. This is a hobby and as such is too subjective to make judgment calls about what is "too much." Some guys think I'm a fool for having a stockpile of old carbon blades, no matter how cheaply I got them. I'm constantly baffled by guys who spend (to me) big $$$ on new and old razors or soaps which they add to the dozens they already own. Even if I had the money, I would not do likewise. But it's not my place to say what anything is worth to them.

This one likely posed an interesting challenge to whoever won it, and I sympathize with that. I doubt somebody just wanted to win. I also doubt he is going to leave it "as is," sitting on a shelf on display. If it can be fixed, he wants to be the guy that fixes it. Win or lose, my hat is off.

Good luck to whoever tears into it. I do hope it's a member here and that he posts a report no matter how it turns out.

Yehuda D, AGHisBBS and lightcs1776 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I considered asking my wife for the money to back a bid because you see visible knurling. I could be wrong but it tells me the thing isn't that far gone. Mechanically might be another story. I hope we find out.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    mrchick likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really hope, that if it is one of us here, that he/she would share what they will be doing with it. I've spent money just to prove it could be done. I bought a mission style rocking chair that should have been burned only to have people later say "wow that is a beautiful chair". I, as well thought that crusty razor had potential; just couldn't (heart was willing, but the pockets were weak).

So step up and show us that Fat Boy; I'm really interested.

John Ruschmeyer and gorgo2 like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, time to confess, how many of you guys put a bid on that thing??
    I didn't.

Enrico likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I thought about it, but no I didn't. It got too high. for $10 or $15 maybe.

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That would have been my limit too. It would have been a toss up to either leave as is, or try to restore.

Enrico likes this.
  7. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Not in any way shape or form.

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

But you'd still watch someone else restore it. I enjoy learning for others (save me money). :D

DaltonGang and GarnerPW like this.
  9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Nope. It would be cool to try a restore at $10 or less, just to see if it could be done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would have given $5 for it. No more.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I dunno...if the buyer lucks out and restores it to working order, even with the cosmetic flaws it's bound to have it'd be a hit on ebay again when he shows before/after pics and can provide documentation that this is indeed the restored Razor from the Black Lagoon. He'd more than get his money back for it because at that point it'd be a true curiosity that lots of people are likely to want. IF it ends up fixed.

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    IF...

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

That razor is a monstrosity! loll

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'd probably have put up to $15 on it. I like a challenge, and that looks like it would explode in the ultrasonic cleaner, much like the Cruddy Micromatic I did a month or two ago. If any of you guys find those kind of cruddy razors, I'm interested :p

mrchick and Enrico like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Picture of it please.

16. Bookworm

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

18. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

A rust removal will do the job and also drop that razor in warm water for a day or two to slacken that dirt. It will get back to nice look, but not as it has to be, though give a try if you want to buy!!! btw what's the brand name?

19. Bookworm

The original post was of a Gillette Fatboy that was probably dug up out of the clay.

20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Somebody on another forum posted a link to the original auction. Apparently, the seller found it while diving!