Ultrasonic cleaner

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by fiatster, Jan 21, 2017.

1. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Can you use any plastic basket in a ultrasonic cleaner as long as it fits? I see Harbor Freight has 1 with good write ups, but uses a flat tray. I was thinking of swapping it out for a plastic basket with holes or drilling my own holes in it.
    Mike

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

There shouldn't be a problem. There isn't anything in the ultrasonic bay that will interfere with it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would agree. Any basket will work, provided liquid can move into and out of it. My ultrasonic cleaner has a plastic basket.

Carbide Mike and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Which one did you get?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's just a cheap battery operated one. If I didn't already have it, I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than cleaning rings and eyeglasses.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Here's one like mine-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380131255818

I would imagine any basket would work as long as the water passages are large enough and number enough. This ultrasonic cleaner works pretty good for two or three razors at a time. Unfortunately, the operator can only control the time an item is cleaned for. Not the cycles or temperature.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Mike, I have this model from Harbor Freight. It works great, and you could easily place a basket in it.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Exactly!!!!

I have used one for a while, and still had razors not clean after. I used agood quality cleaners, , but some razors were so gunked up, it didn't matter. I get the best results from using piping hot water soak, with Palmolive dish liquid added. This has cleaned many razors so gunked up that the tto actions wouldn't turn. Sometimes simple solutions are best.

9. wristwatchb

Which ultrasonic did you use? Some models are more powerful and have additional features than the $30 low-end units. Mine uses AC power, is heated, and has enough room in it to place 6 or 8 razors at one time. It seems to do a really good job. :)

10. DaltonGang

I'm unable to get to it, for a few days, but it was well rated, large, and worked ok. It was a middle of the road cleaner, approx $75-$90, retail. I just had some razors that were so bad, it just wouldn't work, and I wasn't about to invest in a real expensive one. I've just been 100 percent happy with the hot water soaking trick. My wife still loves the ultrasonic cleaner for her stuff.

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

Needed to add, mine is AC powered, and will heat to a piping hot level.

12. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

ultrasonic handles1.jpg Charlie, I ended up with the same one you have. I'm pretty sure it's a rebranded isonic 4820. It has good reviews so I thought I'd give it a try. The main reason I wanted a basket instead of the tray is I have heard it can get pretty hot pulling out the parts. I looked around a few places for a small enough basket but came up empty. I know I can order 1, but I solved the problem by looping 2 plastic zip ties at the ends of the tray. I used a lighter to slightly soften the ties as to be able to form right angles.. I made them just long enough to reach above the water level. Should work I guess.

sky pilot 83 and wristwatchb like this.
  13. wristwatchb

Mike, I think you'll like it! I've cleaned quite a few razors with mine, although I haven't tried it yet on a super gunky razor. I put a few razors in mine, fill it with water, add a few drops of Dawn, run a full heated cycle, let it all soak overnight with the Dawn working, and then run it again the next day. At least that's how I did it, and the razors came out visibly clean. Let me know how yours works for you!

Demidog likes this.
  14. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Will do Charlie. I have a couple of vintage razors being shipped now. I'll give it a try when they get here and let you know.

wristwatchb and Demidog like this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

If any of those vintage razors are TTO, I think that you'll find that the ultrasonic cleaner will help a bit. It didn't make a huge difference for me but it cleaned out some gunk that was sort of locking up the TTO mechanism when overnight soaking wouldn't help, and that made it worth the purchase. Just be sure to but some dish soap in along with the water and it will do things for your razors that scrubbing or soapy warm water soaking won't be able to accomplish.

Also I've heard that ultrasonic cleaners can remove paint so if you have an adjustable, try to avoid sticking the dial in there. I was able to avoid doing this by washing the head and the handle separately during different cycles.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Good advice Demidog. I did try putting in a very clogged up grinding burr that I was using for some woodcarving. It was a ball shaped burr with circular groves around it. It was totally clogged with gummed up wood and after about 6 min. it came out clean.

Demidog likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

Looks like the one I have.

18. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

I got ordered an ultrasonic cleaner from the bay last night. 15 hours later it arrived. Did 3 rings for my mom and sis and got my Gillette slim in it now. Even though i polished it, it's bubbling like an alka seltzer tablet. You can already see it sparkling. These things are awesome!!!

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, Demidog and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

You tapped into your inner macgyver didn't ya?

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

fiatster likes this.
  20. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

LOL sky pilot. Sounds great. I just took out my Gem 1912 and I have to say it looks great. Very shiny handle ant the razor head part is very good also. I'm happy with it so far. All I used was a very small bit of Dawn.

sky pilot 83 and wristwatchb like this.