Unboxing the Simplex 7

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by '65 G-Slim, Dec 28, 2015.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Got my Simplex GI razor in today, so I thought I'd share for the benefit of you younger guys who might be interested in a bit of history...

[​IMG]

These are supposed to be "warehouse finds", 70-some-odd years old. I bought mine off an online auction site, and it was listed as "mint", "never opened", and "new condition". One website offers these for more than $30, but I snagged mine for about half that.

[​IMG]

"Simplex Military Reg US PAT OFF"

[​IMG]

Five blades, Bakelite handle (with threaded brass insert), Bakelite base and steel head all fit neatly inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool black steel blades!

[​IMG]

Assembled with blade...

[​IMG]

...and close-up showing a rather large gap between blade and base. Kinda scary-looking, to me, anyway, after years of using a Slim set on "3". Of course, I was chompin' at the bit to see how it performed, so after scrubbing it down, I lathered up and scraped a light day's growth off my face. Felt pretty aggressive compared to the Slim, but not much more than a new 7 o'clock Super Platinum in my '51 Milord, and *much* lighter. Needless to say, I went *very easy* with that black steel blade. No nicks, no weepers, no redness. I can imagine a young GI taking a week's growth off with a steel pot full of cold water. This will go in my travel kit.

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Good write up...Does look an Aggressive Wee Bugger..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. '65 G-Slim

It gave a pretty good shave (two passes, with & against), but I'll wager it'll do better with a Silver Blue in it.

Karl G, AGHisBBS and Billyfergie like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:

Karl G, Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Very :signs021: thanks for sharing. Even the case looks in great condition and this is 70 + yrs old! What a find. Enjoy :happy088:

Karl G and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. '65 G-Slim

It's the old things, and ways, you know? Like my coffee pots. Old is better. Not only the *quality*of the things, but it takes me back. Better times. Maybe it *does* take more time & effort. That's part of what makes it better...actually participating, and not sitting around waiting for it to do all the work. And just the thought of using something that's 20, 40, shoot...a hundred years old. It's *cool*, and it's *fun*.

7. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Now that is a blade gap! - My inner history nerd thanks you for sharing.

Karl G, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Awesome find! I love the time capsule aspect and I would love to compare the razor to my Merkur Bakelite.

9. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I was so tempted when I saw these. But I've been spending WAY too much as it is. /sigh

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and Karl G like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is cool. Thanks for sharing.

11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That was interesting. Great pictures. Thanks for posting the thread!:signs001: :happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.