Uncle Jon's Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DBart., Mar 14, 2017.

1. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I recently received my soap from Uncle Jon's Soap! Gravity and Prohibition. Initially the smells are wonderfully subtle and complex.
    Gravity: A sophisticated concoction of crisp mountain air with dark undertones. As described by their site.
    • Top Notes: Crisp Alpine Air, Mandarin, Bergamot
    • Mid Notes: Black Pepper, Cardamom
    • Dry Notes: Vetiver, Suede, Vanilla, Teakwood I will have more on this once I dig out from the snow and shave!
    Prohibition: The best way to describe this scent is "spicy sophistication" Again. Their site.
    These are slightly soft soaps. IE you can push i finger dent into it. They are tallow based. Although the Gravity says Tallow or Palm oil. They have distributors in Canada and the UK. The Shaving Time Co. I am not being paid or supplied with free soap to do a review.

They are located with a brick & Mortar in Berlin MD. It is a small batch artisan soap. Shaving, bath, etc.
    OK! on to shoveling and then maybe a shave tomorrow!

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Nice review!

3. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I love my Uncle Jon's Silk Road. Fantastic scent, great performance, very slick, and easy to lather. The aftershave is also very nice; great post shave feel and the scent lasts 12+ hours.

4. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Post shave is critical for me.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Uncle Jon's soap is top notch. The only ones I have tried are the tallow version (Holly Berry, Silk Road) both scents are nice and it appears he did not skimp on the scent with either one, strong without being overpowering. Lather quality is excellent. Soaps are labeled at 4oz but both of mine are closer to 5 oz so I doubt there would be any weight issues with dealing with Uncle Jon.

Plus he makes some u tube videos that are both comical and educational. Really enjoy his passion for soap making and helping others. Seems like one cool dude, wouldn't hesitate to order from him again in the future.

Its sad that this needs to be said but Just for the record I am not affiliated with any artisan, just personal experience and my opinion.

6. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

On to the further review. I tried Gravity this morning . Vie Long horse hair brush and RazoRock Blaxk hawk with feather. The soap lathered quickly and easily. And we have filtered well water. Not hard, but not softened either. The "puck" is pliable like Sapone di Paulo or CRSW. The slickness was well above average and the cushion was excellent. The lather stayed consistent through the second pass. (only 2 today). No nicks, no irritations. I still got good feedback from the razor. The scent was amazing. Deep and complex like in my first impression, but not overpowering at all. Now, the post shave scent is awesome. It has a really nice light lingering scent which I love in a soap, but not overpowering if you want to wear an aftershave. Of the 11 soaps I have this is in my top 4!

7. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Yes, his youTube vids are pretty cool. Informative and interesting, I am glad he has a store, mostly because i live in Eastern PA.