Uneven Doors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ryan B, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My newly acquired 40's rocket has a slight problem with the doors. One doesn't go all the way and doesn't line up. Will this affect my shave? [​IMG]

2. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I was able to fix/bend back a red-tip I had the same issue with. I would expect it to alter the shave as it is currently. Spend some time opening and closing being very careful to note where the problem actually seems to be. I believe mine was at the bottom or base of the doors and only on one side. Once I was able to correct that they lined up straight. But it did take me quite a while of observation and slight bending until it was even. You should be able to correct it though, just be patient and go slow with it. Sorry to hear! The Red-tip is a great shaver now though!!,

3. Ryan B

It was kind of disappointing. It is even on the other side, so it's like that one door is uneven. How did you bend yours into place? Like what tool did you use?

4. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember exactly...I may have even done it mostly by hand. I do remember it was really frustrating trying to figure out where exactly the problem was. That part is what took the longest, then just deciding how exactly it needed to be bent to fix it. Once I figured those things out, it was just a matter of trying to bend little by little. I did do it by hand I think. But you may be able to use some needlenose pliers also...

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

From that pic it looks like the baseplate might be bent up on the left too. I'd look it over really good and see if you can tell what's bent and try to bend it back. Looks like maybe it took a good drop.

6. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Good call...that was the deal with mine as well. Sometimes it's really tough to tell where exactly the problem is. Bent base plates may manifest themselves in what look like bent doors...

7. Ryan B

Good news: I was able to fix the bent door. I tweaked the base plate with some needle nose pliers and evened everything out.

feeltheburn likes this.
  8. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Awesome...Glad you were able to work it out. Enjoy that razor! It is a great shaver.

Ryan B likes this.
  9. feeltheburn

That's good news Ryan. How's it shave now?

10. Ryan B

I won't know, I have poison ivy on my face. Got it when I was deer hunting.

11. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Oh my! Not fun!!!

12. feeltheburn

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully a few more days will clear it up.

13. Ryan B

It sucks. But it would have added insult to injury if I didn't get a deer. It's getting better, but it's not gone yet. I've been putting witch hazel and aloe vera gel on it several times a day.

14. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

That really does suck but on the bright side you didn't get it on your other cheeks:happy097:

jeraldgordon and Ryan B like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! You got the doors fixed, you got your deer!!
    Bummer about the poison ivy. Glad the home remedies works for you. I gotta go on steroids if I get poison ivy.