Unscented Glycerin Soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ninjack, May 19, 2017.

1. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend an unscented glycerine shave soap that will melt easily in the microwave? I have been wanting to get some to melt and mix in some British Sterling cologne and see if I can make a puck of BS scented shave soap. I did this with some Van der Hagen shave soap I have and it melted easily in the microwave, but it already had a light scent before mixing in some of the British Sterling. I can smell both now when I use it and would rather have a soap that smells only like the British Sterling.

I have been on a BS kick lately and have a big bottle of the cologne and after shave splash, but wanted a good British Sterling scented shave soap to go with it. I bought a bar of 365 glycerine soap at Whole Foods Market last weekend to try it with, but it doesn't seem to want to melt in the microwave. I need to find a soap that melts easily to mix with it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Try getting the glycerine base and just add in some kaolin clay. They don't cost much and you can make your own soap.

ninjack likes this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Mama Bear soaps probably has an unscented variety.

ninjack likes this.
  4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Most artisans can provide an unscented shave soap.

My brain is telling me one of them makes a British Sterling scented one already, but I can't think who. (Not me)

ninjack and PLAla like this.
  5. PLAla

I think it may be Stirling. Perhaps called British Leather.

ninjack likes this.
  6. ninjack

Thanks, I didn't think to look for a British Sterling scented shave soap from any of the soap makers. I guess I figured there wouldn't be much demand for it since it's not an expensive or luxury cologne. For some reason I really like the smell of it though.

7. ninjack

Thanks for the reply. I will look into it. I have had some interest in trying to make some homemade shave soap if I can find a simple way to do it. I usually just decide it's easier to buy something already made, but I may give it a try sometime.

Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. PLAla

Check Ginger's Garden as well. @soapbuddy may have a soap in that scent. She has a big variety and can do custom scents.

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's pretty easy with pour and melt glycerine base and there are plenty of sites explaining how. All you need besides the base, there are others besides glycerine like goat's milk, are kaolin clay for the slickness and essential oil for scent, or the cologne you want to use.

Linuxguile and ninjack like this.
  10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Imperial barber supply

ninjack likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you order some Melt & Pour (MP) glycerin soap, look for one that are described as "all natural" or "detergent-free". These will be better for your skin. I order mine from www.peakcandle.com and www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com You'll probably need a mold to pour the soap into; look for silicone molds. They are more flexible, so it's easier to get the soaps out, once they cool.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    jimjo1031 and ninjack like this.
  12. ninjack

Thanks for the tip! the wholesalesuppliesplus website has just what I was looking for. I will definitely try their melt and pour soap base sometime. Price seems good too.

Sara-s and jimjo1031 like this.