Update for My Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 21, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I finally got a response from WSA and he said he'll have to send the razor to the post office this coming Saturday which is four days away. Hopefully it'll arrive early next week. So excited to get my flare tip razor.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is one of mine. E3, 1959. You can look at it while you wait on yours.
    gillette_e3.jpg

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Delta echo razors did mine

IMG_20170322_001922.jpg

AGHisBBS, Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got a Z1 & a D3.
    Flair Tips 1.gif Flair Tips 2.gif
    The (Weishi / Micro Touch One/ Van Der Hagen) in the middle is a pretty good Chinese copy.
    Flair Tips & Weishi.gif

5. theguitarshaver559

I am SO impatient waiting on my super speed razor. *sigh*

RyX likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Put a Feather in the Krona.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Chaddy187 and RyX like this.
  7. theguitarshaver559

You mean use my Krona until my flare tip arrives?

RyX likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Feather blades are famous for being sharp. When used in a "mild" razor the combination should give a great shave, assuming your technique is good.

Bama Samurai and jmudrick like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What he said. 'twas my choice of weapon this morning. The problem with starting your wet shaving life with the Krona is that few others will so successfully combine extraordinary smoothness with good efficiency. To appreciate it, yes a Feather or other very sharp blade is recommended. The early Super Speeds are definitely somewhat more aggressive, but get to know all of what your Krona can do before making any definitive judgements about which you prefer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  10. theguitarshaver559

Even IF I do choose my Krona over my Super Speed, I'll still love my Super Speed. To me, it does not really matter which razor performs better than the other, I'll still love ALL of the razors I have. Point being, I'm trying to grow my own vintage double edge razor collection to love them all.

RyX and jmudrick like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good attitude. Once you have developed the techniques needed, an acceptable shave can be had by most any razor/blade combination.
    My first DE was a Gillette Fat Boy, and to this day it's "my favorite". Partially because it's the one used to developed my skills. I have two Kronas, passed to my by my father, and a number of SuperSpeeds of various years picked up in the wild. With a good month long Focus I can get about the same results with any of them. Each has it strengths as do different blades. Those that have zeroed in on a particular razor as The Best have found what they prefer. Your Shave Journey has just begun. Enjoy the variety, develop your preferences, and learn proper technique for Your Best Shave!
    Should you seek advice, check out The 30 Day Rule/Focus group (link in my signature below). Just a bunch of shavers discussing their problems and progress at improving their technique. Oh, sometimes there's Shenanigans, too.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. theguitarshaver559

The reason why I choose ebay for getting vintage double edge razors is because I'm about to set up my own PayPal account to get more. When I said I won the Gillette Slim Adjustable, I used a basic reloadable card to pay for it. The seller accepted that type of card payment, but some others didn't. You can find pretty much find any vintage double edge razor on ebay.

RyX likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very true. I live in a small town that still has one foot in 1950's Mayberry. By making regular visits to several close by shops, I've become"that razor guy". They set em aside for me, look for them at estate sales, and mostly don't use the bay as a price setting tool. Now that I have some interesting razors in my den I've slowed my purchasing. Instead of buying nearly every razor I see, I'm more picky looking for ones I don't have yet, or in Very Good condition.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Rick, You ever stumble an inexpensive 'Crat in your wanderings?

RyX likes this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'm the opposite. I live in Dallas, one of the largest metropolitan areas in America. Everything is dry. I have to get lucky at estate sales.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not yet John. I've only got one in a trade with Tom @twhite. I was stumbling my way through straight razors and balking at learning and investing in hones just about the time he became interested. He got straights, I got a fully functional '46-'47 Crat with a bit of gold plate loss on the cap. Don't see em here in Cajun Country.
    This is Fat Boy Territory! ;)

twhite likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm sure that's where many of mine come from right before they land in antique/thrift stores. I don't keep up with Estate sales, but the folks who run the shops know I'm looking so they shop for me! There's others around who sometime beat me to the goodies. I missed a "basket full of shave stuff" at a once a month Church thrift store two weeks ago.