Upgrade for the LORD LP1922L

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Birkut, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Birkut

Birkut New Member

I've bought and tried several razors.

So far, the best has been the Lord Premium LP1822L. Very smooth and unforgiving. Better than the EJ DE89L. However, it is a tad too mild, but not by much. So, I've look for razors with similar blade gaps. So far, I have on my list of contenders :

• Merkur 23C (on which the Lord is copied after)
    • Merkur 20C (same head as the 23C, more appealing black handle)
    • Feather AS-D1 (very expensive, but of Japanese quality)

What is your take on those razors? Any other suggestions welcomed.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

All of the Merkur razors and the Lord share the same head design. I believe the Feather is a fancy stainless steel Tech.

3. newb

newb Resident Newb

Also to note, there is more to aggressiveness of a safety razor than just blade gap. Weight, balance and blade angle play big role.

I'd recommend taking a chance and try something different. Variety is the spice of life my shave brother. Try an adjustable, then you can dial in what ever aggressiveness you like.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Also to be considered are the new Parker 3 piece heads, and the new Sabi heads. They are all very similar, but not identical in design.

I don't have any Merkur 3 piece heads to compare with; however, the EJ89 and the Lord Premium/L6 are very similar in feel. They are both capable of giving nice clean and irritation free shaves. I would say that they are both more aggressive than a tech or weishi. The Parker is slightly more aggressive. I can't say that I can get any better of a shave with the Parker, but I occasionally get some small nicks when using the Parker.. However, that difference could be a matter of weight. The Parker model I have came with a very heavy handle compared to what I have used on the other two. I have just received one of the new Sabi models; however, I won't give it a try until after SuperSpeed week to tell you how it compares.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Newb is giving good advice. Mildness or aggressiveness is a combination of blade gap (exposure), angle of blade, and head configuration/size and weight of the razor. You may do better with a good adjustable to figure out what level of aggressiveness you like before pursing other razors. It may save you some trouble and you may actually get hooked on the adjustable.

6. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

What blade did you use? It seem from what I read in blade review here that you can find blade that change the way a razor shaves. If you need more agressive, a simple change of blade might be worth the try.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Very true. I often find that my best shaves are with the milder razors like these paired with the more aggressive blades.

8. Birkut

Birkut New Member

Have you actually tried it or just guessing?

This is why I am asking about your personal experiences with those razors.

Done that already. I know now that razors with blade gaps similar to the Lord LP1822L give me the best satisfying shaves. I am trying to stop accumulating razors. I will be selling the ones I don't use.

On an adjustable, one cannot change the weight, blade, blade angle, shape of the heap, etc. Only the blade gap.

I don't share your opinion. I found the experience with the EJ DE89L and the Lord LP1822L quite different. Both are fine razors, but they absolutely not feel the same. I find them very different.

• Feather
    • Astra SP
    • Merkur
    • Bolzano
    • 7 A.M.
    • Treet Platinum
    • Bic Chrome Platinum
    • Lord SS
    • Lord Platinum
    • Lord Super
    • Sharp
    • Blue Bird
    • ... and some other I forgot the brand

Thank you for your suggestion, but as you can see, I have tried a lot of blades. I know which one I like and how they interact with the razors I own.

It seems to me, a lot of comments on shaving forums revolve around the catch-all concept of "aggressiveness" that means simultaneously everything and nothing.

The way I define "aggressiveness" (how close the blade hover over the skin), only razors can be qualified as mild or aggressive. A blade is either dull or sharp (how it cuts); or harsh or smooth (its finish, friction on skin).

9. jcwit

jcwit Member

I use 2 razors as my daily razors. One of them happens to be the LORD L6. I have no idea how to gage aggressiveness I only know I get excellent shaves with the few blades I have chosen to use. My quality of shave and the smoothness, and comfort of the shave is all that matters to me. I change blades at 4 days, the seem cheap enough for my budget to do so, so why push it.

Only thing I found with both of my daily razors was the light weight of the handle, in both cases I inserted a brass rod to add weight changing the weight/heft, whatever one wishes to call it, to my personnal preferences. Others may or may not find this benifical at all.

In the end WWFY.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Merkur 23C has a .64mm gap.

For those who, like me do not own a Merkur, here are the list of .64mm gap razors.

Gillette Aristocrat (US)
    Gillette Knack
    Gillette Ranger Tech
    Gillette Super Speed (black handle)
    Gillette Super Speed (late 1940s)
    Wilkinson Croma
    Schick Injector Type L

It is in between between settings 2 (.61mm) and 3 (.66mm) for a Gillette adjustable. That may be why the adjustable razors may not be to your suiting because (at least for Gillette) because there is no equal gap.

If you think the 20C is more appealing, get it and enjoy, and if the other razors are not for you then sell them off.

11. newb

newb Resident Newb

The feather is what you need. The Merkur 3 pieces will most likely give you a shave similar to the EJ. You preference sounds as if you prefer a lighter weight head. The Ej's and Merkurs have similar balances. Buy the Feather, it's a beautiful razor based on the classic Tech design, the same as your Lord.