Upping the cool factor on some drug store stink

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Linuxguile, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

20170926_115546.jpg

This morning I had the day off work and decided to tackle a project I've been wanting to do for a while. I've been snagging these cool vintage AS decanters whenever I see them at the thrift store but sadly all of them were bone dry. This morning I decided to fill them up with some drug store juice. I tried using mini funnels but they didn't work very well and then I remembered we have a bunch of these baby oral medication syringes laying around so I gave that a go. I emptied the AS out of the cheap plastic decanter into the glass and used the oral syringe to suck some up and then deliver it into the new bottle. As the new decanter gets full (if you cant see into it like the Old Spice Telescope) you will notice that the depressor on the syringe will start to be pushed back up due to the air pressure in the bottle.

Now my Old Spice Telescope decanter is full of Pinaud Clubman, the Avon Rook decanter is full of Aqua Velva Ice Sport and the Avon Knight is full of Skin Bracer. I also filled up a glass Shulton Old Spice decanter with a bottle of P&G Old Spice.

Cheers!

jtspartan, RyX, AGHisBBS and 11 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice!

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Neat.

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Great idea!

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

That is in fact cool! I've always ignored empty avon bottles when I see them for sale, but you've given me a new perspective. Happy shaving!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    jimjo1031 and Linuxguile like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not sure about others, but Pinaud products seem to take on the plastic scent of the bottles. Moving them to glass improves the scent, though some folks might argue about The Veg.
    Keep you eyes open for those Avon chess sets. That would make a nice display with a full set. Many members have repurposed hot sauce bottles, too. If you want to move the labels from the plastic to glass I know a trick...

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW if your wife, mother or female friend colors their hair; the dye dispensing bottle (rinsed out well) works well to refill those decanters. The tip fits nicely in the AS bottle.

[​IMG]

My wife always ask me why I want her to save it.

(BTW not my hand)

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm in the process of seeing how AS stores in stainless steel. I find SS flask at the good will all the time and they hold about 8 ounces. I'm storing Special Reserves in one right now, so far it stills smells great.

RyX, Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Best switch I ever made was Shulton into the Avon Captain's Pride bottle. Made for each other.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Other ideas:

Can't recall who (Avon? AV?) but the clear glass glacier with a chrome plated bear on top is just made for something heavy on the menthol.

The Avon log cabin bottle for anything woodsy.

For some reason I can see Clubman fitting well with any number of Avon auto bottles.

The horse head pictured above, Polo Green.

12. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

Wow, so that's what it looks like in its natural state! you hardly ever see it due to the white OS bottles.. (be careful, the bottle cap of my Captain's Pride leaks when it's on its side, so I only keep enough in so that the level is below the spout when on the stand)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.