US East Coast Bunny Pass Around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Karl G, Feb 18, 2016.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Karl

Thanks for your report. I found that when I first started shaving with the bunny. I was applying too much pressure as I thought it was not cutting. I just let it glide over my face. The lightest of touch. really works. I will get with you and see if we can get the spring sorted out. That is the most delicate part of the razor. It is easily adjusted mind you. There is a fine line of too much and not enough.
    Like you stated these are first run razors. I bend those springs by hand. unlike the main spring that I have a tool for. Lets hope we can get this sorted out for you.

Tom

BeShaved, AGHisBBS, macaronus and 5 others like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

And, I assume, no "manscaping"?

AGHisBBS, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Does that really need to be said? :eek:

AGHisBBS, JBSharp, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm sorry, bad attempt at humor.

AGHisBBS, Redfisher, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I assumed it was a joke.

BeShaved, Redfisher, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Great write-up, Karl. I can't wait for the Bunny to land in the UK.

BeShaved, Redfisher, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This your first post since November 25? I just want to say, "Welcome."
    zwelcome2.jpg

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Absolutely on the light, barely-holding-it, touch. Also, I meant to mention that the Mild comb is relatively aggressive (even more reason to keep that touch feather light.) In fact, I don't think the Personna is a good blade combo as the Mild comb is not as mild as I thought it might be. Sadly, my Schicks don't arrive until Friday but I do have some varieties of NOS Schicks I could try - or a twin... :happy093:

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just used my V-2 for a cleanup pass after trying my Rolls again. I got two passes on the rolls this time. I used the V-2 Mild with twins (4) and they are very nice.

10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I don't know what you reckon Karl but I would suggest the MILD Comb is around about say a Schick Hydro..I mean the Hydro can nick you all the way to Hell & Back without the due care..So called Mild in Injector Speak isn't Mild Mild if that makes Sense..:)

Billy..:chores016:

11. riverrun

Thank you. I've been busy elsewhere :D

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I wonder where :D

Redfisher, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about your question. I'm not sure I have a ready comparison. The closest that comes to mind would be a PAL Adjustable set at half-way. In fact, I'm having a hard time comparing it to a Schick as it is a different shave. Perhaps more like my early type E or the H (which is a close cousin) in terms of efficient whisker removal but I think you'll agree that people may want to think of this as it's own razor. For me, the wonderful gliding of the comb and super efficient shaving stands out at the moment. :eatdrink047: The fact that it accomplished this with a Mild comb is what surprised me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Round two with the Bunny:
    I changed things up a bit with the Bunny today. I wanted to try out a twin blade. One thing I can say about the Bunny is that it is like my PAL Injecto Matic or PAL Adjustable in that I think it finds a way to cut whiskers below the skin line. Really, a BBS with these razors lasts a long time. :D

Since there was only a light beard to work with I stayed with the Mild comb. The headline? Another super close shave with all of the face rubbing goodness that that brings. :happy036:But, we all know that we learn something with every shave with a newer razor so here's my take-aways from today:
    • First, the Mild is more than enough for a one day beard. In fact, I don't think I'd want to try the Notso or Wild unless I had 36 or more hours of growth. There's a good reason why the recommendation is to start with the Mild comb when you get your hands on it.
    • Second, the twin did not transform the razor like I thought it might. Nothing like the difference you'll get from shaving with a Schick Type I loaded with a single Schick vs. a Twin. A nice blade combo for the Bunny without a doubt but not as transformational of an impact.
    • Third, do not treat the Bunny like a Schick. The angle is different and the head is larger. I've put some pics below to try to give you a visual. I found I was prone to dropping the handle more than needed as if I were shaving with a Schick or even a PAL. It was easy to lapse into existing habits. Getting the handle up and the head more parallel makes a noticeable difference. It's worth putting some attention on this.
    • Fourth, the head is larger and it can be easy to let this psych you out. It's actually very close in size to the Personna British Executive. It just takes a little getting used to if you regularly shave with a Schick or PAL. A slight bit harder under the nose but not difficult to manage.
    • Fifth, the Bunny really shaves close. Yes, you've heard it before but it's worth repeating. I could easily have gotten away with a 2 pass shave and some wet touch ups. I went for three passes because I am that kind of guy. That third pass is always a little risky but I like the challenge. In this case, I did end up with a couple of small weepers on the upper lip but I am pretty certain that it was an issue with the angle I used for the underhanded ATG pass. They closed on their own and I skipped the Alum. Cold water was fine.
    Like yesterday, it was like wiping the whiskers away. With the right angle and pressure you'd swear you are just brushing them off at will. :git:

I'm going to skip shaving tomorrow so I can move up to the Notso comb with the twin blade I have loaded. Check back on Thursday to see how the Bunny works with a heavier beard. In the meantime, here are pics of today's set up and some comparisons with a Schick:

T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    The Bunny B-V3 with Mild comb
    NOS Personna II (1)
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm

Bunny B-V3 with TH CF TH kit.JPG

Notice the difference in angle...
    Bunny Angle.JPG

...and the difference in the width of the head (bear in mind the blade in the Bunny is a little wider since it is a twin.)
    Bunny head.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

BeShaved, RyX, macaronus and 9 others like this.
  15. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Sounds like I may be suited well for the not so guard. I shave every other day usually. Nice writeup

BeShaved, macaronus, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  16. riverrun

Thanks, Karl. Even better than your first write-up. I'll be sitting next to the front door waiting for the UK Bunny to arrive all week, although I know it only left L.A. hours ago. :rolleyes:

BeShaved, macaronus, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:thanks:

18. riverrun

You are :signs046:

Cool smileys you guys have on this site :)

macaronus, AGHisBBS and Karl G like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice write up, Karl. I'm thinking you use more of an angle like a GEM with this razor. I'm looking forward to my turn.

20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Closer to an GEM MicroMatic but not quite as flat. A Repeater is a good approximation.

It'll be in your hands before you know it. (as long as you don't think about it...:happy097:)