used razor treatment

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by craigd, Sep 12, 2009.

1. craigd

craigd New Member

complete newb question here... What do you do for sterilization / cleaning / prep of previously used razors? Also do you do anything for this after getting a razor back from a honing service since they may test them? Am I paranoid?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Are you asking about straight razors or safety razors?

3. craigd

craigd New Member

Both actually. I think I's be more concerned about straights though. I haven't started shaving with either yet - I'm still in my obsessive research phase :) My guess is that I will end up using both eventually - DE during the week and straight on weekends when i have more time.

4. Queen of Blades

It may be more productive to start separate threads then. A thread in the Straight Razor forum will get answers from the straight razor users. This thread will probably attract mostly safety razor users. The title is a bit non-specific and it's in the general forum. Some, not all, members gravitate towards the specific forum for the type of razor they use.

And now that I've said that, watch everyone prove me wrong. :)

5. Queen of Blades

Here's a thread for DE razor cleaning. And another thread.

6. craigd

craigd New Member

Thanks for the links, they kind of answer the question. I was more asking the general question of do people generally sterilize them and it sounds like the answer is yes.

7. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I sterilize all of my razors when before using them for the first time. My usual routine (which is probably posted on one of the links JoAnna provided) is:

Scrubbing Bubbles (or similar product) - soak and toothbrush until it's fairly clean
    5 or 10 minutes in the ultrasonic
    More Scrubbing Bubbles if/as needed
    Rubbing alcohol soak and flush
    Sometimes I boil an all-nickel plate razor, but not usually

That's it. I'd like to pick up some barbicide some time.

8. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

I got two used razors in the mail a few weeks ago.

I soaked them in hydrogen peroxide, scrubbed w/ soap+toothbrush, and rinsed. Cleaned+Sterilized!

9. Hyperborean

Hyperborean New Member

Rubbing the razor with 96% ethanol will do it, immersion is of of course better. 96% ethanol is effiecient desinfectant especialy regarding viruses. For bacteria isopropyl alcohol is better. I read some medical article regarding this matter not long ago.

10. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

On DEs I just use dish washing deturgent, some water and a toothbrush. For straights I don't think there is much that could survive the polishing and honing and stropping. And as proof that its safe, I'm still alive and healthy. Maybe crazy, but still healthy.

11. faceslice

faceslice New Member

cleaning

hi
    any razor second hand should be sterilizer , hep b can live a long time ,
    ultrasonic cleaner with the right chemical with get rid of a lot , good idea to buy a bottle of cold sterilant or take it somewhere to be autoclaved ,no plastic handles ,metal only .razors can be a breeding ground ,skin hairs blood soap . bleach will kill just about the lot but will kill the metal as well .. it will rust stainless. i would go for a cold sterilant , available from a dental supplier .scrub with a brush leave in to soak , read the instructions .else some of the chemicals will kill the razor too .
    ;)faceslice

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

a good soak in the boiling water will kill everything I think.. there are some that you can not do that with. nothing plastic or gold plated.. someone else will have to answer about silver plate..after that scrubbing bubbles usually gets the rest of the gunk off. and it also disinfects.

Fuzzy