Using a NEW handle on an OLD

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fsfty, Feb 11, 2017.

1. fsfty

fsfty New Member

I really like the NEW handles as opposed to the ball ends. Would using the NEW handle on an old type effect the shave at all?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  2. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

It's all about balance and what feels good in your hand. Wether you like more weight on the head end or more weight in the hand. And that can affect the shave.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never know until you try. Whatcha waitin' for?

AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and Eeyore like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My guess is that the weight and balance difference is not enough to really feel it.

But there is only one way to find out.

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Maybe a bit heavier, but I agree, nothing ventured nothing gained. Go for it.

HERM

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

7. fsfty

fsfty New Member

I went ahead and shaved with it and got a wonderful shave. Didn't notice anything different other than using the handle I'm more comfortable with. I'm gonna keep the NEW handle on it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Not much set in stone, I'm happy your experiment went well.

9. brit

brit in a box

i have a tech ball end handle on my old type,looks cool,heavier.looks like it belongs,razor still does nt like me.....yet ot.jpg are these razors meant to be used with older less flexible blades?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Which New handle, common bar or ball-end?

A fat Tech handle is great on an OLD, so is a Durham Duplex. :happy088:

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Yes. The 3 hole blades were thicker. I recently found out that technically the old types were somewhat of an adjustable with the old blades. If you loosened the handle a little the blades acted like a spring and it will change the shave.

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

.my first shave with a new blade was quite harsh,just lack of experience perhaps, or is this normal with todays thin blades?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

What razor did you use and what blade? For me, the old type and the single ring are aggressive razors. No matter what blade it feels rough like I'm using a garden rake to shave with .

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

1920s canadian old type,astra blade ball handle.same here,shave itself was good,just not comfortable; old rake.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. Jorvaljr

I hate to say it, but you and I may just not be able to use these types of razors.

16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The Gillette OLD type is my favorite razor, #1 on my list. It provides smooth, close, effortless, user friendly shaves every time. I have several, thin cap, thick cap, US, Canadian, Goodwill 162, - the '21~'28 US version is my favorite. I think they are the best DE ever made! :happy088:

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That doesn't surprise me. Keep the original handle for when you ever want to sell the razor.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!

19. brit

brit in a box

i may just need to try the old type more often.i was still quite new to de when i tried it.