Using a vintage Gillette razor with a cracked barrell

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Doctr07, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Doctr07

Doctr07 New Member

I just received a Gillette Bostonian that has a 1/2 inch crack on the barrel up by the head. Is it safe to shave with this razor or will I ruin the razor?

Jorvaljr and wristwatchb like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

You should be able to shave with it. However, many people have used either an epoxy or solder to repair it. I can't say what type of solder since I haven't done it myself.

Sent via mobile - Chris

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! I'm glad you're here.

I had a Gillette New Long Comb with a similar crack on the handle. I shaved with it for awhile, but the head would occasionally move. I eventually sent the razor off to have the crack soldered and the entire razor recoated. No problems at all with it now.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It's ok.

5. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

It is safe to use it. When buying a vintage razor it's quite common for it to have a crack in the barrel. Like mentioned above you can solder or use an epoxy. If it's a 3 piece you can buy a different handle for it. Good find. They're not super rare but also not real common.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think you should not take any chances with that razor. Send it to me and I will take all the risk.

7. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I have found the New Improved, and the Single Ring style Gillette razors stay together just fine with small cracks in the outer barrel. However, the Ball End type handles with cracks can draw blood. Just a few weeks ago one of my prized US Army razors with a crack in the upper part of the barrel came apart in mid shave. It was due to the crack getting wider, causing the threaded tip to come out, while I was shaving. It drew blood. It's the Ball End handles you have to worry about mostly.

Mbg75 likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Depends on if the head is loose or not.
    If not, it depends on if you can live with the crack or not.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    ...And if you see one on eBay with a suspiciously nice uncracked handle, chances are the cracked handle was replaced by a later ball end tech handle. It arguably makes the razor shave better, but ruins the value of the razor.

10. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I use this with no worries. Cracked all the way. 20170120_045351.jpg

Jorvaljr likes this.
  11. Doctr07

Doctr07 New Member

Thanks for all the replies! Where would I send it to be repaired if I should choose to do so?