Using Hair Conditioner to shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Tiredricefarmer, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Thanks to @Queen of Blades suggestion that I try hair conditioner for dry skin, I did a little research. One of the things I found was "conditioner " is great to shave with.
    Anyone ever heard of or tried this? If not, who's gonna be the first? :signs136:

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

In a conversation with a lady running a Barbershop/ Hair Salon she will do a men's shave with a shavette and hair conditioner. She found it easier to see through conditioner while giving a shave and liked the slickness of it over canned shave goo.

AGHisBBS and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If that's what you want to do, go for it.
    Me, they make products to shave with. I have those products. I will use those products.

Let's see...
    I need to shave.
    But first I need to buy something to shave with.
    I can buy shaving soap made specifically for shaving, or I could buy hair conditioner.
    Hmmmm....

Doesn't make sense to me to buy an alternate product when the product made for the specific need is in abundance and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
    Outta shaving soap, stores are closed and you ABSOLUTELY MUST shave? Then grab the conditioner. Heck, grab the peanut butter.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Marine68, Redfisher, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  4. clk

clk Member

I will sometimes use my wife's conditioner as a pre-shave while in the shower. It seems to work.

Spyder, Keithmax and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Smooth, not chunky. Would you use a hot scuttle to loosen it up, or souse the alternative soap?
    peanutbutter good all over.jpg

Marine68, Spyder, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  6. swarden43

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have too many good, bad, & in-between soaps to think about using peanut butter. How would you get it out of your brush when finished lathering?

8. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I would say she uses conditioner because that’s what she has on hand and doesn’t want to buy shave soap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  9. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Spyder, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've used both conditioner and baby shampoo successfully (two different trips where I forgot to bring shaving soap).
    edit: The trick with the baby shampoo is to NOT lather it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Spyder, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just add several drops of glycerin into your aftershave bottle, and you will get all the moisturizing you need.

Spyder and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  12. Tiredricefarmer

Haven't heard of that. Is this something that you do? I've got some aftershave I wouldn't mind trying that with.

Spyder likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

I've done that for a few years. Some aftershave, like those produced by "Fine" and "Florida Water", don't have moisturizers. Many that do, use glycerin. I use 4-8 drops per bottle, depending on the need. Go fewer, and add more later, if needed.

RyX and Spyder like this.
  14. swarden43

Moisturizing is one thing, getting a slick surface to shave is another.

Spyder likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

Well, I read dry skin, and figured it was a moisturizing problem. If he needs slickness, then go Arko.

RyX, Spyder and GarnerPW like this.
  16. swarden43

You read correctly, however it was from a different thread that he was dealing with dry skin. His search lead him to the statement that conditioner was good for dry skin AND to shave with. Then followed this thread, shaving with conditioner.

17. Tiredricefarmer

Sorry for the confusion. After researching hair conditioner I found it could also be used to shave with and started another thread in the "General Shaving" section on that.

Spyder likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

Well, if it's any help, I've added glycerin in my Arko, when I've shredded it, in the past. This added slickness, but I've found, Arko didn't need extra slickness.

Spyder likes this.
  19. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Been adding glycerin to a/s for years and have in the past put 2-3 drops on top of a puck of williams while the brush hot soaked.

20. Tiredricefarmer

Is glycerin best ordered online or is it something that you can buy locally?