Usually true? (aggro razor + mild blade) = (mild razor + aggro blade) = BBS ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by transistordude, Feb 26, 2011.

1. I've started experimenting with different DE razors and am finding that, surprise, my mileage does vary.

The same blade that gave me a beautiful shave in a moderately aggressive razor (Merkur HD), was lousy in a mild razor (Goodfella open comb) and also lousy in a very aggressive razor (Ikon 2011 open comb). And I found that "aggressive blades" (Gilette 7O'Clock Black, Feather) worked well in the "mild razor," while "mild blades" (Lord Super Stainless, 7 AM Platinum) worked well in the "aggressive razor".

Is this a common experience? Do most folks find that (mild blade) + (aggressive razor) is a good setup, and also (aggressive blade) + (mild razor) is equally good?

I admit, I'm surprised. And pleased too, since I've now found well matched blades for each razor!

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I find that your assessment is a good rule of thumb. I've certainly found exceptions, most notably these two:
    - Feather(aggressive) + Tech (mild) = tear up my face
    - Feather(aggressive) + New Improved (aggressive) = great shave

3. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Agreed. A feather in a slant does me better than a feather in an HD.

4. newb

newb Resident Newb

1000% agree. I only use Feathers in an aggressive razor (merkur slant, barbasol, Gillette single ring)

5. sas71

sas71 Member

the only blade (so far) that stands out for me is the Gillette 7oclock yellow. it a mid 60's SS it was the best blade i had tried at the time but in a Merkur HD i didnt like it one bit. thats the only blade that has been like that so far.

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I like the Feather with a Tech-that's what I've been using this week.
    Then again, I've never had a razor I didn't like with a Feather. The Feather is especially good with a slant. I've never tried it
    in what I consider my most aggressive DE razor-the Merkur Progress.
    Generally though I agree that mild blades with aggressive razors and
    sharp blades with mild razors is a good rule of thumb. It's at least a very good starting point in experimenting.

7. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Holy %&*@ that was my 1000th post:eek: