Valet AutoStrop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Douglas Carey, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'm not sure as it has a VC2 handle. It reads 1907-1914 patent.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. Mines going into the "collector item" box. Unique stuff is cool but would be nice if it wasn't so rare that its not use able.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

has anyone tried using DE blades in there auto strop? I read somewhere that it can be done, but I was never told how. I believe it was "snap in half and cut the tabs down" but was never really given how to data.

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Never heard of that. I use modified SE blades in my VC1 and they work like a charm! :)

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's nuts. The rigidity of SE blades is part of the magic here.

If you want the SE feel with a DE blade I'd recommend a Shake Sharp not monkeying with an Autostrop.

macaronus and lloydrm like this.
  6. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I just use the Feather FHS-10 blades in my Valet Auto Strop. They work well for me.

Bubbablade and lloydrm like this.
  7. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

Are you guys finding the Father carbon steel SE blades? I was given a link to a guy who sells those on ebay from Thailand but I have only heard of the stainless version.

8. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. I was only trying to illustrate that those exist.
    I couple years ago both stainless and carbon were readily available. We can now thank OneBlade for reversing that while increasing the price.
    If you just want to try the carbon version, you can find them here http://tryablade.com/blade/feather-seikan-carbon-spineless-single-edge-blade.
    Am guessing you are considering stropping them. If you don't, I wouldn't bother with these as the SS version is much better IMO.

9. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I find that with the feather weight GEM I have, I have only used gem carbon blades, that they seem to be so much more enjoyable on my face. To the point that I can shave OVER open wounds and healing scabs that would have been ripped open by a DE blade.

And yes, I am so curious about the stropping blades. I have spent some time hunting down valet blades. And I really don't know if its easier to focus on a great condition razor with a really good strop, or focus on the nicest thing with blades in it.

questions on the strop, is it safe to assume that even the "coffin case" model came with a strop? it seems logical to just tuck it in the lid when you close it. Although looking at the illustrations, one can assume you were to simply hook it on a hook in the wall and leave it there.
    I have seen 1940s strop packages that say BOTH sides of the strop are for stropping the blade. But in "million dollar razor" booklets, on the smooth side is supposed to be used for stropping.

I have seen some you tube videos of "experts" stropping the blade and not being able to remember what direction they were stropping and change direction mid pull to make it a push, and just see the strop cut in half.
    Cutting through a freshly restored 70 year old strop, with a un used 80 year old Valet blade can make a man think that the edge was already good.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I have never had great luck with vintage carbon blades no matter how good they look even with stropping. In most cases I'm guessing they need honing which is way more trouble than it's worth for me. Stainless GEM blades are fine for me and my VC1 seems pretty happy with the choice. A little hand strop for good measure.

11. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I just pulled the trigger on a VC4 in a super speed style cardboard box display with un used strop. The razor has the paper blade in it still..

the vintage blades is still an interesting thought. considering some ebay folks charge/demand 5 dolalrs a blade, one can say that spending 10 dollar on a decent enough early valet model with a pack of blades is a better purchase considering the extra blade option on that.