Van Der Hagen Disappearing from Box Stores?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Last year when I switched to using a safety razor, I could find Van Der Hagen razors and soaps pretty much everywhere in the Cleveland area, especially Target, Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, and Rite-Aid. Now it's all but gone, especially the soap pucks. The shave butter I can still find at CVS, but that's about it. What happened?

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If they are disappearing, that would be a real loss. They are great entry level hardware and soaps for the newbie. I still like my VDH Luxury soaps. The razor blades are way over priced compared to what you can get on the web. And as I said on your other thread, I'm glad we still have Williams. It has staying power. :happy036:

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd better grab a VDH puck while I still can. (Unless CVS got rid of them just as I said this).

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Can still find VDH Luxury SS in the local Walmart but nowhere else. Glad I have several pucks of the Deluxe which I like as well. It's a decent product that provides very nice shaves. I know it's still available online for now.

Wonder if this will be another scare like there was with Williams awhile back?

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The VDH pucks and DE razors disappeared from the Target, Walmart and supermarkets near me. Don’t know why. I guess they weren’t selling. In fact, Aqua Velva musk is gone from all the local supermarket.

Shaveagedden????

:shocked003:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. Michael_W

I don't see how they're not selling, especially since CVS and Wal-Green's still carry them along with the shave butter, but I suppose one can send the company an email message asking about it. Maybe there's a change in distributors?

Jim99 likes this.
  7. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Most stores are pushing harrys at the moment. Vdh showing up everywere was a response to the retro boom, and hipsters, most have moved on, either giving up on old school shaving or have moved on to artisan soaps they have read about on sites like this. so now they move on to the next thing, which happens to be harrys and i have a feeling you will start seeing dollar shave club next. You can tell what sells the most as it usually gets the most shelf space. Vdh is still selling soaps online, i think amazon has them for 22 bucks a 12 pack for deluxe. Shaving soaps are actually a hard market long term, most soaps last a long time and are sharing shave time with multiple other soaps, which means even your loyal users are buying twice a year, its why the more popular artisans discontinue and create new scents, once sales go down to a trickle they discontinue, which causes a small boom of people stocking up, and the new soaps bring the same people back to try the new scent.

178-bplatoon, RyX and Michael_W like this.
  8. Michael_W

Well...! Now I know something about how the shaving market behaves. Thanks for explaining it to me!

RyX likes this.
  9. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

That’s the same as I was thinking. It’s been a years use out of 1 puck of vdh ss, since I shave every other day and have other soaps to use as well. I had noticed that not even Walmart is caring the starter pack with the soap, boar brush, and mug anymore.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @rbilly! Great First Post and thank you for the enlightening info. If you take a moment to visit The Welcome Center and make your intro there's a bunch of folks eager to meet you.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Shame about AV Musk. I hope that one is still available at drugstores

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I love Aqua Velva musk! I’m going to have to stack up just in case.

VDH pucks are great for the price. It’s not a bad soap at all. I figure if it’s slick enough for an SR shave, then it’s a good soap.

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

It's a shame if they are going to discontinue selling VDH in local stores. The kit especially is a great way for beginners to start "traditional" shaving easily and inexpensively. It contained everything you needed to start and it was all very serviceable, the soap was excellent IMO, I still use it today. Oh well I guess I need to stock up on my Arko. I had never thought about how hard it was to make a buck on shave soap until reading @rbilly writeup. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Michael_W likes this.