Van Der Hagen Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cool Breeze, Oct 10, 2013.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I guess I didn't notice that duhhhhh.....My main point was why pay more for the same razor just because it now has Van Der Hagan on the package instead of Weishi, thats all, it's still a Chinese razor and I.M.O. not worth the amazon price, when you can get it so much cheaper off of ebay......

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Seems to me, after some further Googling, that VDH must have bought the razor from Timor (Geisen & Forsthoff ) who bought it from Weishi. So, mark-up, mark-up. And I'd guess, VDH isn't as research savvy as shaving forums, otherwise they'd have bought it from Weishi.

And people will buy it because they'll know the VDH brand and won't research it.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy088: I think you've hit the nail square on the head JoAnna...It's to bad as a little research could save them(shavers) some money..I.M.O. I also think the more researched and savy the shavers are the better the products, lower the prices and will actually be better for the industry in general...:) The information on places like TSD is also what makes these forums so valuable and why every shaver should join one!!!

Queen of Blades likes this.
  4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

all good info, thanks all

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you want a similar razor, that actually is quality and is made in Germany, check out the Mehaz razor.

It is actually a beautiful razor, but is a very mild shaver. In my opinion, it is the best modern twist to open butterfly style razor produced. All others are made in China (or possibly India).

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/mehaz-razor-yes-i-do.30086/

Bobcat likes this.
  6. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Hopefully it does not mean putting ice on your face to temper the irritation.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Some people have been known to fill their sink with cold water and ice to shave, and even rub an ice cube over their face to complete the shave. Check out the pic post #5 ---> *click*

battle.munky likes this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

OK , I saw the "pawn guy" selling safety razors on tv. whats the deal? junk? cheap knock off?
    anybody know anything?

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Talked about here ---> *click*

11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

12. Queen of Blades

Sears website contains multi-vendors. Sears isn't asking $60 for this razor. Some place called KPMY Wholesale is, through Sears.com.

13. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I agree but it makes most of the general public assume Sears is responsible for the pricing. Crazy.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  14. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I must agree, the last several kenmore products I used from sears were pure plastic 3rd world produced crap. Even craftsman tools are foreign made crap now.

wally world has killed the american business owner. now that everyone is out of business, you HAVE to shop there and buy what they want you too bec. the compition is gone or has to follow suit with inferior goods ( sears) at inflated prices.
    Sorry, I miss the Sears of old. please excuse my rant

Plus I friggin hate Wallyworld. I miss the mom and pop places where they actually gave a crap wether you came back or not. wally world has a zillion sheeple waiting for you to leave so they can pay for all their chineese made crap.
    wow, again, sorry

fram773, 178-bplatoon and burnout961 like this.
  15. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

No problem with the ranting. I hate wally world too. I live out in the country and up until 10 years ago when super wally world moved in we had 11 old time country stores. You know the old stores I'm talking about. The ones where you stopped in, got a coke, and shot the breeze with the old folks. Now they're ALL gone, along with all the old mom and pop hardware stores. I know someone with say "that's just big business" but I don't like it and never will. It's destroying our country. Now who's doing the ranting??? lol

178-bplatoon and burnout961 like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is the razor-and-blades model. For some reason, the blades are not listed on Van Der Hagen's website (vhdent.com). Maybe they are just testing the waters?

At $27.98 for 25 blades, that comes out to $1.12 per blade. Drugstore store-branded blades are usually around $6-7 for a pack of 10 blades. The price comparison does not work in Van Der Hagen's favor. Perhaps they are trying to establish themselves even more in the premium shaving marketplace? Then the blade pricing makes a little more sense. After all, these blades will probably be sold in drugstores, and so won't have much competition.

Much of what is offered on the Sears website is sold by third parties, not by Sears. I agree that most of it is absurdly overpriced.

You might not have too long to wait. Rumor has it that Sears may go under soon. They are selling off stores like crazy, including some of their best locations, to raise operating funds. Kind of a shame, as they used to be a great retailer. Their stores in California started going downhill about 10-12 years ago, and became ratty, dirty, with cheap, poor-quality merchandise and virtually non-existent customer service. That was in astonishing contrast to their flagship store in Sears Tower, which was one of the best department stores I have ever seen. All the Sears stores around Chicagoland were still really nice at that time.

17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the Sears of the past. Was the first department store I ever visited as a child. It was a great place to shop, they had everything. I guess now-a-days if your merchandise is not all chinese junk you just have to close the doors. Before long the only store that will remain will be wally world, which I can't stand.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I would think about getting one of them, but the country of origin, wit for the drum roll......dot ta dah.......you guessed it China.:sad029:

19. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Weishi is Japanese. I bought one last year.

20. Queen of Blades

Not according to any of the vendors who sell the razors and list the country of origin. As for the vendors who don't list the country of origin, of all the countries of origin to not list, China is the top of the "do not list" list.