Van Yulay Shave Soap Sample Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Zykris, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

This morning head shave I busted out the Royal Oud sample. Smelled like a earth, light spice scent to me. It's a tallow based soap. The description on the website from Van Yulay is as:

Description of Shaving Soap Scent:

Royal Oudh is a stylish and warm fougere fragrance with a beautiful kaleidoscope of woody, aromatic green and spicy nuances. The note of oud is an integral part of the composition, playing its role in balanced equilibrium with other notes.

Top notes include lemon, pink berry and bergamot. The middle notes consist of cedar, galbanum and angelic root. Base notes are Regal Indian oud, sandalwood and Tonkin musk.

This one pairs well with Creed Royal Oud

As far as the scaling of it's performance:
    Slickness: 8/10
    Cushion: 7/10
    Fragrance Strength: 6/10
    Fragrance Longevity: 6/10

Great performer once again! I'm not hitting a bad Van yulay performance but still the Tallow tends to be the king. Loving the scent as well. After reading the fougere part of it's scent profile kind of surprised me. But it's all together a great scent. Probably a buyer. Thanks for reading!

Robie Persaud and Str8 Shaver like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's afternoon shave, I used the Zephyrus Tallow soap sample. Here's the description:

Tallow Soap
    Shaving Soap Scent:
    Orange, lemon, bergamot, jasmine, geranium, lavender, and more. A touch of musk. Compared to Pinaud Type Cologne.

I have never smelled Pinaud Clubman, so I can't make an accurate comparison. As far as the soap performance:
    Fragrance Strength: 6/10
    Fragrance Longevity: 6/10

Almost an exact replica as far as performance stats as the Royal Oud. Worked well. Thought the scent was ok. Not horrible, not earth shattering for me but I could possibly seeing myself buying one of these tubs after I get more of the one's I definitely liked the most. Have a nice day!

Linuxguile and Str8 Shaver like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

This evening's face shave I picked out Puros La Habana. It's a vegan soap. Here's the description:

“Puros La Habana”

Great aromas of a Cuban Cigar. With very Smokey robust tobacco leafs & hint of cedar.
    This is a fine gentleman’s shaving soap.

Sounds great, right? I like tobacco scented soaps and I like cedar. But what the description says and what my nose smells is two different things. Reminds me of an aged ashtray mixed with burnt wood. Not my kind of scent.

Performance -
    Cushion: 3/10
    Fragrance Strength: 7/10
    Fragrance Longevity: 7/10

My Omega boar didn't like this soap at all. It wouldn't lather at all. So I busted out the synthetic angel knot and got a really strange, slick non existent cushion that was really awkward. It worked but not exactly a lather I would find nice. Maybe I got a dud on the sample portion, I'm not sure. Would I buy this soap in a tub? Heck no.

Str8 Shaver and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

6This evening's head shave, I pulled out Mountain Retreat. A tallow soap. Following is the description:

This is the most unique scent that I have so far. Cozy as it gets; we have added a woodsy cabin flannel fragrance to give you the warmth of a cold day. Infused with warm smoky sandalwood, birch, fern, balsamic amber background, and cardamom.

Not a bad scent. I see it mainly as a seasonal type of soap. Thanksgiving to Xmas type deal. Stats on the soap sample:

Cushion: 6/10

I'm still having real good luck with the tallow versions of Van Yulay's soaps. Slick as ice and enough cushion to give a decent protection. The scent was strong and is still hanging around. Definitely smelling like Yule hasn't gone anywhere which is okay but I can't see using this more than a couple times of a year. Till next time!

Str8 Shaver and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's face shave is brought to you by the Van Yulay sample of WhaTZzz
    Tallow Soap
    Shaving Soap Scent:
    Fresh aromas of petit grain and citruses with a heart of Posidonia Oceanica seaweed. A masculine fragrance with amber and woody notes. Compared to Bvlgari Aqva. Inspired by Anthony Esposito.

A little hard for me to describe the scent but it is an interesting one. My wife liked it. So no complaints here then! The soap sample had all the characteristics of the tallow based soaps thus far. Very consistent. Have a great night!

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

This afternoon/evening, I pulled my last sample of Van Yulay shave soap. The might Poseidon sample. Made from Emu & Sea buckthorn. Description of the sample...

Sea Side fragrance of clean crisp aroma’s of Ylang-Ylang infused with ocean waves. Added notes of cedar broken driftwoods of the sea. Stand sea side and this will be your shave of the day. These colorful raging waters, with the sea in mind we have made this soap with Sea Water, Sea Clay, Sea Salt and Sea Kelp. Everything sea in in this formula to experience the waves of the ocean.
    This Shaving soap also contains a trident made of soap !

About half the time ocean scented products would send my head reeling from the overpowered scent but this one is just the right zone so it works! Great performance especially with the slickness. Smells great! Another soap I'll probably end up getting in a tub format. I'll have to get more samples from them because I'm far from done with this vendor. Thus far, I've only had two samples that I either couldn't handle as far as scent or I really didn't care for the scent. I'm impressed with Van Yulay and may end up with a collection of tubs from them. Until later when more samples are obtained, have a great one!

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I didn't notice a small packet of Death by Chocolate sample. Bully! Description of the tallow soap:
    “Death by Chocolate”

Stats:
    Fragrance Strength: 5/10
    Fragrance Longevity: 5/10

A chocolate delight is what you will receive in this shave soap. One of a kind soap that will enhance your life.

Van Yulay has made a shaving soap that is luxurious with butters of Kokum & Cocoa that give the shaving experience over the top. Shaving with quality clay of Kaolin with give you that glide in your BBS shave.

Nice shave! It performed really well. The scent is light..but effective! This one had a great post shave feel!

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I used the Van Yulay Oh Man hard puck the other day. Terrific lather and my favorite VY formula thus far. Scent is like many barbershop type scents.

Str8 Shaver likes this.