Variations in SuperSpeeds

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lionhearted, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I've been shaving for 40+ years and for nearly half that time my only razor was a SuperSpeed that I bought new in 1974. Since I started collecting and trying safety razors about six weeks ago, I now have four SuperSpeeds. What has surprised me is that they're not all the same in use.

My original U4 1974 gives an above average shave (although I've found some I like better — NEW, Tech, Schick Krona and red tip). A B3 1956 gives an identical shave. But a C3 1957 gives me a rough shave and an X3 1952 is outright horrible. I used the same soap, same brush, same blade and same technique.

I'm wondering if it's something in its past history that makes one bad, such as heavy usage (although I used my original one daily for more than ten years) or being dropped on the floor (no misalignments that I can see).

Could it be quality control or were there just enough design changes over the years to make some SuperSpeeds better than others?

Richard
    P.S. I'm conducting a little test here posting this in two forums to see how responses differ.

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am personally The Shave Den's resident Super Speed addict. I have eight - two 40s, a 50s, a 60s, 70s, a red tip, blue tip and a long handle. Let me tell you there is a world of difference between each. Bronco is an authority on this subject, I hope he chimes in on the subject.

Here is what I have been told. Starting in the 40s Gillette really did not think that the Super Speed would be a great seller and did not plan on making too many of them and did not date code them. Surprise they caught on. In the 50s Gillette figured that they could get more money out of their customers if they varied the super speeds more, hence the red tip, black tip and blue tip came about. The red tip for those with heavy beards, blue tip for light beards. The black tip was made out of aluminum rather than metal. If this was step foward or back is debatable. In the 60s Gillettte was trying to figure out how to get more $$$ out of their customers so they put a flair tip on the bottom to make it easier to turn the knob. The 70s saw the addition of the black handle to make it easier to control during the shave.

Personally I preferr my 40s. But each of us is different.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

You have only eight?????...that's just a start

I have a blue tip made out of aluminum and my black tip is metal. You need to verify your sources before you post. There is a possiblity that each model was made with both materials. I have a flare tip from the 50's according to the date code not the 60's.

To answer the question, there were differences in the head design going from the 50's SS models to the adjustables. That is besides the obvious changes in the handles, notches in the bar for easy blade loading, weight of the razor and the adjustables ring that adjusted the blade exposure. You are correct in assuming that if the razor was dropped it could affect the way it shaves. Even with modern razors quality control is a problem as well. Wether there is a model that was better than another is in my opinion a personal preference. I used adjustables more than SS models before I began using straight razors. I still use the FatBoy for touch ups every now and then. To me it is the best razor. Again, personal preference. I'm sure Bronco will chime in with a real expert opinion

4. fritz

fritz New Member

Richard mentioned a Schick Krona. I got one of these as part of a lot of three off of ebay, otherwise I probably wouldn't have sought one out. I was somewhat amazed at the quality of the build, and how well it shaved. The closest thing I can compare it to is my no-notch (1947?) SS; seems to shave about the same as that. I only have the one SS, so I don't qualify as very experienced in them. Any of you SS fans ever used a Krona?

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Don't have to Raf, you said it all very well. :cool:

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

No one seems to have noticed...this is Richard's FIRST post! So, welcome to The Shave Den, Richard. You'll find that we're a more laid back bunch than on other forums, but the good advice is still there when you need it. Hope you enjoy your stay!

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Thanks Michael, it was such a good post we were all reading. :cool:

Welcome Richard!
    It's nice to have you here!

:happy023

8. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

I have used Gillette Super Speeds and Gillette Adjustables manufactured in the same year and quarter that shaved very differently. I have/had several Red Tips, Blue Tips, and Black Tips. Several Fat Boys and Slims (etc.) that were all manufactured in the same year and quarter that all shaved differently. I don't know if it was the QA, my imagination, or they had a different head geometry that made them shave different, but they did.

I'm basically a Merkur fan and have more success with them (Progress, Mergress, HD, Slant, and 38C), but on occassion I shave with a Gillette. I really enjoy the Techs as they give a smooth and very forgiving shave...

And as always the object of the game is to...

Enjoy your shave... :D

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Welcome Aboard :cool:

I am not a SS expert but :signs046

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome to TSD Richard!! :D :cool:

I don't know much about Superspeeds, I like the few I have though :)

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Richard!

Nothing else to add to the conversation. Sorry. :o

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am almost afraid to ask the question how many have you collected Scorpio?

13. Damon

Damon Member

I would like to say welcome Richard, and this is a good thread I'v learned a lot reading it I was going to start looking for some SS's and this gives me more insight into them to help me decide what I want to look for.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I think that there is a lot of variation among the different models of super speeds some are better at different thing than others. More than that I think that different people react differently to the same razor. I find that there is little quality difference between any of the models of Super Speeds its just that they cut a little different than each other and I need to compensate for the variation in the cutting techniques. I do not think that anyone of the models are any better than any of the other its just that they are a bit different then each other. I think what you need to do is to find the best model for you that yields the best shave for your and go with that. I also recommend using a shaver that challenges you to improve your techniques. Some are harder to use than others are and some are easier than others. The blade that you put in the razor also has quite a bit to do with the quality of the shave that you get from the razor. I think that Gillette was looking for the best possible design for all men and found that different designs do better on different people. So this might sound simplistic but its what ever is the best for you. I know this is probably what you did not want to hear but this is what you needed to hear.

15. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I have most of the various SuperSpeed designs and I can get a pretty nice shave out of each of them. I also have a Krona and I must say that it really is a fine razor that easily holds its own against any of the SuperSpeeds.

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I agree Straight Arrow, I get excellent shaves out of all my super speeds and the variations in the models only makes things more interesting in the morning. I think that the biggest variation in the models of super speeds came when gillette started making the flair tip black handle. Mine is a bit more agressive than the others that I have, at least on my face. Although the variations are the spice of life and keep things interesting in the morning. In my opinion the only real important variation in the super speeds is the 70s ones.

17. MaxP

MaxP Member

So this may explain why the K2 model I have just doesn't work that well for me. I much prefer my gillette NEW. Perhaps its because there was much less to go wrong with it.

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

It's much more likely Max that you are reacting to the K2 differently then you do the other razors. For some people different models of super speeds do better.

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Had my first shave with a SS today, a C2 (1957) and I loved it. Compared to my Merkur Futur (cranked to 3 on the dial) it was a very different shave, I'd describe it as "gentle and smooth".

20. DirtyDave

DirtyDave New Member

My favorite SS is the last one I have used.;) I have five of them and once you understand the characteristics of each, they all will do a fine job.

What is amazing to me is how under-appreciated the build quality of those things are. Heck, they were just gimmicks to get guys to buy more blades, but my oldest is one, a notched 1948 (?), shaves as well today as it did fresh from the package almost 60 years ago.

That's remarkable for such a 5 and 10 cent kind of thing. Makes me really appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship that went into them.